Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Soil mix for Mexican pings out of what I have

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have pouzzolane, river sand or calcareous sand. Even though there are various recipes for soil mixes available in this thread I was trying to find out if I can make a suitable soil mix using the components I already have.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour
    then just cat litter and river sand ( silicate sand for aquarium) 50/50 is OK , you can add vermiculite ( perlite for me is not interesting with time and water it dissolves )

before planting, always moistened the substrate.

the sand is very very important for the capillarity.

jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I ended up following the advice given by 31drew31 previously. My pots were filled with 1/1 mix top portion of which was pure perlite and bottom portion 4/1 (perlite/(peat/sand)). Pings did well in it, however, recently I noticed that little worms and other critters were flourishing in the trays with pings. All that life developed in peat and feeds on the organics leeching with time from it. I am pro life but that floating/crawling biomass, albeit small, pisses me off so I have started slowly switching all my pings to inorganic mixes:

1/1/1 APS/perlite/sand with a teaspoon of iron oxide per approximately 1L of mix
    in addition I have set up several pots with simple
    3/2 perlite/vermiculite
    and another mix consisting of
    2/2/1/2 perlite/vermiculite/silica_sand/volcanic_lava_rock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find the top one to be the best gill_za, it's similar to what I use.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

no cat litier ( with in base sepiolite or attapulgite more alcalin )( easely to find) with others elements?

the sciarides grub love the peat substrat and the plants that are with

I try now for my temperate acid specie ' kanuma' a bonzaï clay more acid than 'akadama' more neutral

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to start experimenting with this stuff too. For what it's worth, I use a mix that's basically one part vermiculite, one part peat, and one part sand. All my pings are planted in this mix. I water these things using the tray method alongside my dews.

My P. 'Sethos' seems by far the happiest - it grows like a weed and flowers and divides like nobodies business. My P. 'Titan' flourishes after repotting but eventually slows down... perhaps the media becomes too compact? My P. esseriana just doesn't seem to like it too much, and I've killed so many P. moctezumae to keep experimenting with that species.

If only I could find APS at a local pet/aquarium store, but no dice. I don't really want to have a 20-lb bag shipped to me from Amazon, but I may have to bite the bullet and do it.

Definitely keep us posted on how your new soil mix works for you!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    no cat litier ( with in base sepiolite or attapulgite more alcalin )( easely to find) with others elements?

the sciarides grub love the peat substrat and the plants that are with

I try now for my temperate acid specie ' kanuma' a bonzaï clay more acid than 'akadama' more neutral

jeff
    I browsed cat litter offered in local stores and it all contained either clumping additives or scenting additives

Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I'm going to have to start experimenting with this stuff too. For what it's worth, I use a mix that's basically one part vermiculite, one part peat, and one part sand. All my pings are planted in this mix. I water these things using the tray method alongside my dews.

My P. 'Sethos' seems by far the happiest - it grows like a weed and flowers and divides like nobodies business. My P. 'Titan' flourishes after repotting but eventually slows down... perhaps the media becomes too compact? My P. esseriana just doesn't seem to like it too much, and I've killed so many P. moctezumae to keep experimenting with that species.

If only I could find APS at a local pet/aquarium store, but no dice. I don't really want to have a 20-lb bag shipped to me from Amazon, but I may have to bite the bullet and do it.

Definitely keep us posted on how your new soil mix works for you.
    If finding aps localy is a problem you can find a substitute in Lesco. It sells aps under brand name turface. Or on turface.com look up other distributors in your area.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was experimenting with various of soils for pings and noticed that I have a problem with all of the pings that grow in vermiculite/perlite soil. So this little experiment was setup (all components washed):

Pot 1) Soil: 1:1:1 Turface : CoarseSand : Perlite

Pot 2) Soil: 3:2 perlite:vermiculite

The plants all came from here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=11

So fast forward to now:

Pot 1) Aphrodite

Pot 2) Aphrodite

Pot 1) gracilis x moctezumae

Pot 2) gracilis x moctezumae

Aphrodite and gracilis x moctezumae are the only plants that survived in vermiculite/perlite experimental mix (well maybe that other one in the center, but I forgot to label it). I have also noticed that other pings that are grown in pure perlite or in perlite/vermiculite grow much slower and often decline completely.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast