Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Soil mix for Mexican pings out of what I have

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice comparison pics. I have never heard of Turface, what does it look like and where can I find some? Forgive my ignorance, trying to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my pings seem to like 3/4 pumice/1/4 peat watered with a tray ,its well drained ,only problem ever was over watering a hybrid that was coming out of dormancy , but the plant made it ok with a little less water

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ, just ask for aquatic plant soil at any nursery. It's the stuff that often has a koi on the bag.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Nice comparison pics. I have never heard of Turface, what does it look like and where can I find some? Forgive my ignorance, trying to learn.
    I get my Turface from two sources:
    1) Nursery that sells "Pondcare Aquatic Planting Media", it is actually a mixture of coarse turface and some other mineral the name of which I cant remember.
    2) Lesco or John Deere sells several brands of pure Turface. The one you'd want is called Turface MVP (this is large particle turface http://www.turface.com/sites/default...e_MVP_MSDS.pdf )

Turface like any other planting soil needs to be very thoroughly washed to leach out as much minerals as possible. Otherwise you are risking algae growth followed by other pests. But mineral soil for pings beats any Peat based mixes anyday.

I was replanting some plants recently from a propagation pot into a separate one and the young pants had very healthy inch long white roots with no rotting. I'll post some picks later. By the way plants that grew in perlite/vermiculite had very small roots.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-12-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some JD locations will only carry Turface All Sport. Essentially the same thing as MVP is just All Sport rebranded and given color options as I was told.

To reiterate what gill_za stated, it should be washed thoroughly. I have found it to be EXTREMELY dusty when handling so be careful disturbing it too much while dry or you'll be engulfed in a dust storm. Notice it compacts a lot due to the amount of fine particles as well when not washed. I go through a ton of water rinsing it as it seems to have a lot of fine dust that doesn't easily rinse out. I go through about 10 rinses with tap water before doing a final 2 or 3 with RO water.
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. According to this: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124010 all-sport was re-branded as MVP. Just make sure you get the uncolored one. And also do not get something called Pro League (or anything that has Pro in it) the particles are far too fine in it. In addition some offer Field Fairway Natural - this is even finer stuff .

I also soak mine for 24hrs in Tap water twice. And considering that my tap water is 140ppm the reading I get from those soakings are in 600-400 range. Than I flush it couple of times to remove leached out minerals and soak the stuff overnight in DI water (1turface:2water ratio) 4 or 5 times or until the readings drop to 4-8ppm and stay in this range consistently.

I dunno whoever claimed that turface is good for other CPs as is, but in my experience only pings and Epiphytic utrics can handle it. Dews hate it!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got aps in every cp mix I make, with no problems. I don't wash mine either, but I guess if your pots don't freely drain, you may want to do this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    I've got aps in every cp mix I make, with no problems. I don't wash mine either, but I guess if your pots don't freely drain, you may want to do this.
    Oh mine are freely draining, but this is what they start to look like after a while:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=18

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast