Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iron oxide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iron oxide

Hi all
    I read that some people use iron oxide to stop there pings being choritic (no green colour) my pings are pretty pale looking so I decided to try this. I scraped some rust (thats iron oxide right?) into a jar with rain water. it just sort of sat at the bottom of the jar will it form a solution or do I need to do something more complicated? Is iron oxide even necessary? I use a compleatly mineral mix for my pings so I guess they need a few additives. Thanks for your help
    My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's common to use iron oxide powder, which is readily available. There's a thread with some information here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ght=iron+oxide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iv already potted them up so i cant really mix the powered into the mix but i might try and water them with the iron oxide in suspension I guess they only need trace amounts next time I make mix I will put the powder in first.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps find a product with chelated iron in it, which is a form that plants can use easier. Trying to find this may be difficult, but check out a hydroponics store for it. They do have lots of goodies there.
    Iron (rust) dust can help some, but perhaps there is an underlying cause for this occurrence that you may want to look into first, or in addition to. Chlorosis can normally be due to soil compaction, poor drainage, poor root growth or root injury in many plants, and they make the chelates for that common problem.
    How bad is the condition? (The "chelate" products like Ironite are made for helping chlorosis in plants, but it also has other fertilizers in it so know that! I would check the Hydroponics store for something with only chelated iron in it to see if they have anything.)
    Dusting the "soil" with the iron oxide may help also, as the particles will work their way down into the root area eventually.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 10-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the fact I hadnt repotted them for several years? any way that good advice Growingold (I mean old) I was also thinking about watering with dilute orchid fertiliser which contains iron in trace amounts in chelated for I just read. I guess taht should help I wont do that its back to growing carniverous leaves. Anyway thanks for advice
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

may be other solution than iron

a substrate more alcalin , more sun , in the good saison out door , and real prey not fertilizer

jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I have bunch of iron oxide I ordered a while ago from e-bay for my sugar rocket fuel. And I already have a 1:1 APS:sand mix ready. How much iron oxide should I use per let's say 1cup of soil?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast