User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cyclosecta problems. Dieing or Dormancy?

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your pings are well established and have been doing fine, I would't worry about it. Chances are they are simply switching over to succulent form. If the worst happens, let me know and I can send ya one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't look good and don't look like they're going dormant. I'd grab a half dozen of the freshest leaves and start some pullings.

How old are they? I find some plants just die a natural death after a few years under the lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first season with em, Mach gave them to me..

Literally the ONLY thing that has changed is moving them down a shelf. From up on the top shelf under T5s, to being on the second shelf under T8s

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

attention with this substrate to the rot

for me your substrate is not adequat, too wet , use a substrate more airy ,like this one :cat littier /river sand 50/50

in dormancy the substrate must be dry or slightly wet .

cyclosecta is not a gypsum specie and add iron bring nothing .

I would do ,for prevention some leaf cuttings ,easely to this specie

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 10-18-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also note the number of fungus gnats on the plants. These little buggers are not benign! The larvae will destroy healthy Pings eventually. Particularly if the plants are stressed a bit at the roots if the mix is too compact/wet.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I would also note the number of fungus gnats on the plants. These little buggers are not benign! The larvae will destroy healthy Pings eventually. Particularly if the plants are stressed a bit at the roots if the mix is too compact/wet.
    I've always wondered about that, but i've been told mixed things.. that they wont harm a healthy plant, but some people, such as yourself, warn that they will eat the roots. I can definitely say that there are some fungus gnat larva in there.. Will repotting to a more mineral media help knock back any future fungus gnat problems ya think? I've been contemplating going to an all mineral media but kinda worried about it shocking everything and losing some. But with this guy I guess I have nothing to lose... I've put a few pings that I recently picked up in a higher mineral mix, 2:1:1 APS, coarse sand, peat... And I like the looks of it, and looks like it still wicks up water from the tray nicely.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    I've always wondered about that, but i've been told mixed things.. that they wont harm a healthy plant, but some people, such as yourself, warn that they will eat the roots. I can definitely say that there are some fungus gnat larva in there.. Will repotting to a more mineral media help knock back any future fungus gnat problems ya think? I've been contemplating going to an all mineral media but kinda worried about it shocking everything and losing some. But with this guy I guess I have nothing to lose... I've put a few pings that I recently picked up in a higher mineral mix, 2:1:1 APS, coarse sand, peat... And I like the looks of it, and looks like it still wicks up water from the tray nicely.
    To discourage gnats you may also try putting a layer of sand as top layer (0.5 to 1cm) if you don't want to repot to all organic media immediately. This helped me when I just had primuliflora.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

for the sciarides the adult insect is not dangerous but their grub yes .

these grubs love peat but hate minerals substrates .

also change the substrate and let the substrate dry or slightly damp in dormancy

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 10-19-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast