User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cyclosecta problems. Dieing or Dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing your mix and allowing the pots to dry more between waterings will probably help on the gnat larvae. You can also drench with Bt. I use a product for gnats but I think someone said the same strain of Bt is in the mosquito dunks? If that's the case you can just put one into a jar for a day or two and try drenching with the liquid.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its def. confirmed that its dieing from being eaten by fungus gnat larvae.. The cyclo has no roots left, and i've been lifting up the leaves to find larvae chewing on them too.. So I'm definitely buying some Mosquito Dunks and adding a bit to each water tray, as soon as I get paid next. Ugh. I'm repotting everything tomorrow, so hopefully that will help..

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let the medium or at least the top couple of inches dry out completely for a few days. Fungus gnats need moist soil conditions to survive and they live near the surface. This is the common remedy for houseplants and fortunately you can get away with it. Most Mexican Pinguicula need very little water. After that just add maybe 1/4 inch of water to the tray and let it dry out a couple days before watering again.

If there is enough humidity in the air you can get away without watering them hardly at all. My P. cyclosecta is outdoors and I water it maybe once or twice a month.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 10-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think one of my problems is overwatering.. I've always kept like, an inch of water in the trays. heh. Didnt realize 1/4" or so was all they needed.. I mean, I let it dry up and wait a few days to refill it, but yeah.. prolly way too much water.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour

for me the first thing to do is to change the substrate by a mineral substrate .

and especially to rid infected substrates , the sciarid cycle : larvae, adult insects , egg and the cycle continues , it is necessary to interrupt this one.

actually the mexican are normaly in dormancy then just a dry substrat with a good hygrometry air .

jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brie,

I recently fell victim to the scourge that are gnats. They came from one of the drosera pots and even though my pings are planted in all mineral media gnats would get on them. I saw a few get in between the leaves near the center, in ant out several times (laying eggs) . I got scared and decided to try using chemicals even though everyone (me including) advised against it.

The treatment of my choice was Bayer Rose & Flower spray with two active ingridients: Imidacloprid and Cyfluthrin, which was first used on one of several P. wesser in collection and small P. pirouette. After several days plants showed no signs of decline or any other adverse effects, and I sprayed the rest of them (soil mostly, a bit got on the foliage). In addition I spayed all the plants nearby which included: neps, drosera and terrestrial utrics. A week later I see no gnats and all the plants are fine.

So if you do still have gnat issues, try imidacloprid based spay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just figured i'd update... After repotting my entire ping collection to an all mineral media, everything improved quite a bit. No more gnats. And i'm happy to say the cyclosecta is good as new. Sadly I lost the wee baby one I grew from a leaf pulling, but at least I still have the main plant.

Photo from today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Brie, glad to hear they responded well to the media!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast