User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cyclosecta problems. Dieing or Dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclosecta problems. Dieing or Dormancy?

So i'm getting concerned here.. I love my cyclo and its one of my fav plants, Im getting worried about it... Dont wanna lose it

The only thing that has changed is I moved my pings from being 18" or so away from 4 T5s, to a shelf where they are 12" away from 4 T8s. Would that be enough to trigger dormancy? The light cycle is still the same.. The only other thing i've done is add a black volcanic rock topper, that was rinsed and rinsed and rinsed again to get as much crap out of it as possible. The dieing leaves looked almost eaten, I pulled one out and lifted up the leaves on the plant and looked under them, all that moved were some springtails. Would they be eating the ping or its roots? Should I spray? I have some Bayer spray...

This is what it looked like exactly a month ago, on 9-24

And this was just taken today. The ring of exposed sand you see is how big the plants used to be, I put the rock on as a topper shortly after the first photo, up to the edge of the leaves. So that shows how much the plants have shrunk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: for some reason I missed the smaller plant so removed post.

Dont have a clue whats going on with that one, but looks a little light starved IMO.

Thought Id include a photo of my large plant that is going dormant (notice the leaves without the drool edges):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blurg.... Im going to repot all of my pings into a more mineral media with lime and a bit o gypsum and iron oxide, then move em back up to T5s.... but its prolly gunna be a week or so, gotta wait for the pots I ordered to arrive.. hope it doesnt die. erg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're worried about losing them, take 5-10 pullings from the large plant and then if you lose them its not a big deal.

If the other pings are doing fine I would only pot a few to test the new media in case they hate it then you haven't lost all your precious plants, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what's happening with them, but if the worst happens send me a p.m. I believe I have an extra I could spare for shipping.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're probably in transition from carnivorous leaves to succulent leaves. These plant will sometimes slow down growth and not switch over smoothly to succulent leaf growth (i.e. just stop growing for a bit). The carnivorous leaves are so thin when the grow old and die they turn virtually into tissue paper or "onion skin".

Are you talking about lime (Calcium Oxide or Calcium Hydroxide) or limestone (Calcium Carbonate)? These don't need high alkalinity and lime can be caustic (don't get it in your eyes). Seashells and coral are Calcium Carbonate. Gypsum should provide the calcium they may or may not need.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Edit: for some reason I missed the smaller plant so removed post.

Dont have a clue whats going on with that one, but looks a little light starved IMO.

Thought Id include a photo of my large plant that is going dormant (notice the leaves without the drool edges):

I am sorry for hijacking the thread but do all pings loose their drool edges when the go dormant? Do they still retain the dew? One of my pings starts to look like that one in the pic: denser and "hairier" foliage, but these new leaves still have dew..
    Last edited by gill_za; 10-17-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all mexican Pings will go dormant, and sometimes its just slower/smaller growth. Here is an example of my esseriana, it has no drool edges, slightly hairy but still dewy and catches flies (not sure if they are digesting them and gaining nuterients or not though)

gracilis doing the same thing:

and the ever so hairy immaculata:

And here are some 100% dormant gypsicola that are hairy with no dew:

Brie: if you would like these taken down and posted elsewhere please let me know

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast