What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Way to prevent divsion?

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I am dealing with what I suppose is a good problem to have... my pings are out of control. Every species has 2-4 full grown specimens, and they flower 24/7. Upkeep is getting too much and I prefer a single, mature plant anyway.

Is there a way to discourage division?

Send the divisions to other people? :lol:

Send the divisions to other people? :lol:

Seriously! What ^ said!
A solution to your problem as follows: pull out all but mother-plants from the pots carefully. Wrap in a bit of tissue (slightly most) put in a zip-lock bag. Get free postage boxes, pack one species of each Problematic plant into the box (with some padding) and create a thread called: Ping giveaway (lots)!

P.S. And of-course you will consider me as one of the recipients for giving you such a great idea! JK! (or not JK :) )

Not much you can do its just what pings do. As mentioned pull it out of the pot and separates them then pot in individual pots.

I prefer the single plant per pot too, unless it's a smaller species then a few plants per pot looks good.

give them away make others happy ,I would love a Montezuma, all my pings are paddle shaped and would like a long one

Everyone should have your problem - it's usually the other way around. :>}

I occasionally have good luck with plants of any kind that do this (creating off-spring) by taking the plant, removing the current babies, & repotting either the Mom or one of the kids, into a Larger & DEEPER pot (Not huge, but indeed bigger than the one you normally use).

When the plant does start popping up a "kid", remove it immediately. Keep growing this way for as long as you can.
Something else that may also help, is to try adjusting your conditions slightly. (More/less light, moisture, temps.)
While this doesn't always work for me, many plants have this behavior & a slightly larger pot as well as changing conditions slightly, (as well as removing any new kids that still appear for a little while), does sometimes help the plant to quit producing offspring so much & gets it to create a nice, large, uniform, single plant.
(Aside from changes in other conditions, the added root room seems to help the plant focus on growing bigger instead of making kids, especially after the offspring are removed for a period of time.

If you have a bunch of babies, you could try this with the offspring & put each pot/plant in a slightly different location, and see the results. Again, this doesn't always work, but I have had some results with it. Especially if you pick out the "kids" as soon as they appear, and allow the plant to continue to grow out.

Oh yea, and if you do have too many down the line, keep me in line for one of your unwanted children!

I do know about wanting one, nice, large plant instead of tons of baby plants with no real nice "Huge" one. Hope you can get some success with this.
While a bit of experimenting & work is involved, it may give better results than just sending the babies to others! (Although it does give "THEM" nice results of getting free plants!)

Do keep me posted on your results if you do try this out. I would be interested to hear what happens.

Good luck!

I occasionally have good luck with plants of any kind that do this (creating off-spring) by taking the plant, removing the current babies, & repotting either the Mom or one of the kids, into a Larger & DEEPER pot (Not huge, but indeed bigger than the one you normally use).

When the plant does start popping up a "kid", remove it immediately. Keep growing this way for as long as you can.
Something else that may also help, is to try adjusting your conditions slightly. (More/less light, moisture, temps.)
While this doesn't always work for me, many plants have this behavior & a slightly larger pot as well as changing conditions slightly, (as well as removing any new kids that still appear for a little while), does sometimes help the plant to quit producing offspring so much & gets it to create a nice, large, uniform, single plant.
(Aside from changes in other conditions, the added root room seems to help the plant focus on growing bigger instead of making kids, especially after the offspring are removed for a period of time.

If you have a bunch of babies, you could try this with the offspring & put each pot/plant in a slightly different location, and see the results. Again, this doesn't always work, but I have had some results with it. Especially if you pick out the "kids" as soon as they appear, and allow the plant to continue to grow out.

Oh yea, and if you do have too many down the line, keep me in line for one of your unwanted children!

I do know about wanting one, nice, large plant instead of tons of baby plants with no real nice "Huge" one. Hope you can get some success with this.
While a bit of experimenting & work is involved, it may give better results than just sending the babies to others! (Although it does give "THEM" nice results of getting free plants!)

Do keep me posted on your results if you do try this out. I would be interested to hear what happens.

Good luck!

Growin Old, thanks for taking my post seriously :) I know it seems like a silly question, but I have always been good at growing tons of medium size pings... they never seem to want to produce a single, large plant, with the exception of P. gigantea.

Most certainly it looks like I am going to have a ping giveaway pretty soon. Probably will do some cleanup once my fall classes wind down

In all seriousness I wish I had your problem. The only Ping that has divided for me is my moctezumae but I think everything else is too immature to start doing that...

In all seriousness I wish I had your problem. The only Ping that has divided for me is my moctezumae but I think everything else is too immature to start doing that...

I would try changing some variables (one at a time so you can isolate the effect). Much of my success is due to Joseph Clemens. I read every word of his posts and then asked him anyway just for good measure :) It was his advice to alter some of the variables in your environment that made me successfull.

This may not be the case with you, but for me... I started getting outstanding success when I provided more airflow. Believe it or not, a fan, which promotes good air circulation, made all the difference. Before I was losing half of my collection to rot... now... I have not lost a ping in over two years... AND, just like Joseph, I grow mine wet year ground. Ever read the posts that say P. gypsicola requires bone dry conditions when it moves into its succulent phase? Well, mine was kept in with my tropical sundews and wet year round. And it has doubled in size :)

Anyway, just experiment. Take lots of leaf pullings and become a bad scientist.

Phil

I was wondering the same thing too. I prefer a single plant in a pot because it looks nice and orderly. A don't like it when they divide and pretty soon there is just a mass of plants.

I think division is inevitable with healthy plants. The only cure is to divide them and wait a few months for the divisions to take shape. I usually keep one or two divisions as back-up and trade the rest.

Justcut the division off with an exacto knife and pull it out... If you dont care to keep it for trading or growing, you can just cut it regardless of size as soon as you see it and toss it.

I try to maintain 2 mature plants in one pot. One of those I use for lreaf pullings, that go into another pot, which then become what I use for trades. That's the theory, anyway....

Back