What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project Repot all finished...

The stuff im using now isnt the same as the sand I showed you originally.. This is the newer stuff.. I bought a 100lb bag of it at a quarry/rock/sand supply place. You know the kind with huge piles of rock, gravel and sand that semis pull up to? lol. The owner of my favorite plant shop pointed me their way. Its an 8 grit industrial quartz, by the company name "Unimin". You'll need to call around to industrial type places, masonry, construction supplies, etc.

Here's a post from someone using "granusil" silica sand, which is a different variety Unimin produces, would also work well for CPs I think? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/87303-found-nice-cheap-natural-sand-colorquartz.html

Found a photo of the bag online, looks like this.. not the same grit/mesh obviously but the bag design is the same.
SS4075_large.jpg

Brie,

Mesh 40 would be too fine i think. Suggested mesh # is 20 and up from what I understand. But Thank you again for posting the brand of sand. The other stuff that you had shown previously (don't remember where) is what I am trying to find. Adding the info you provided into my "To Buy" section in google notes :)

Brie,

Mesh 40 would be too fine i think. Suggested mesh # is 20 and up from what I understand. But Thank you again for posting the brand of sand. The other stuff that you had shown previously (don't remember where) is what I am trying to find. Adding the info you provided into my "To Buy" section in google notes :)

That pic was just for an example of what the bag looks like. The sand i bought is the biggest they make, mesh 8. Super chunky.

That pic was just for an example of what the bag looks like. The sand i bought is the biggest they make, mesh 8. Super chunky.

Ummm chunky... I like chunky! :) JK

Back