Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Ping species from seed

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Gotta try some Ping seeds now...
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To speed up the growth of these P. lilacina seedlings, i've opted to feed them with different types of the three species of springtails i grow in culture.

The bag of vermiculite that supplied the media that these seedlings are growing in has been outside for the last year or so, and upon closer inspection i had noticed that there were already local springtails, mites and tiny spiders cruising around in there and the seedlings had already managed to nab a few of these feral snacks.

Here is a closer look at the middle and second largest seedling ping. It has managed to latch onto the most prey thus far and it will be interesting to see if this helps it out with a growth spurt.

It already has captured one of the tropical springtails i released in the growing container. It's the white colored critter on the very right hand side leaf.

And because springtails love to eat fungi, they can take care of any mold that happens to arise in the container on or near the plants and subsequently become part of the plant's diet.

dvg

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing babies and pictures!!

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this a while ago with P. launea seeds, but I only got one seed to germinate. What medium did you use? It looks like vermiticulite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil hokie View Post
    Amazing babies and pictures!!
    Thanks lil hokie!

Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    I did this a while ago with P. launea seeds, but I only got one seed to germinate. What medium did you use? It looks like vermiticulite?

Yes, you are correct MH1, it is vermiculite that they are currently growing in.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some P. gigantae seeds. I reckon I'll have to try vermiculite. Paper towel didn't work so well...IDK. Jeff (very knowledgeable grower) suggested I try that. IDK what I did wrong but I haven't gotten a single sprout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    I've got some P. gigantae seeds. I reckon I'll have to try vermiculite. Paper towel didn't work so well...IDK. Jeff (very knowledgeable grower) suggested I try that. IDK what I did wrong but I haven't gotten a single sprout.
    SDCPs, your method was probably sound, but it might just be that the seeds you had were no longer viable.

Mexican butterwort seeds don't have the longest shelf life, and i've had varying germination results with purchased seeds ranging from very good to zero.

If i get shut out on a mexi-ping seed type, i just chalk it up to the seed being either infertile or too old, but other factors such as media pH, and temperature differences between night and day could possibly play important factors for increasing germination rates with these seeds.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dvg,

Where do you get your seed? I'm very interested in growing P. gigantea, and that's about it or the mexican pings. It does well in strong light outside here...or well enough to slowly keep getting bigger at least. Seeds of this species seem difficult to obtain. I at least need to get a few clones of the plant I guess so I can get my own seed

Twas what I was originally trying to do, but alas I still only have one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast