Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Ping species from seed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

on all my 2 seeds packet ,you had no germination ?

have you try leaves cutting , for me this method is more interessant than seeds ( no hybridation risk ) and less random.

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of these Mexican Pinguicula seedlings are really growing along faster than i expected.

P. lilacina is making the biggest gains thus far and is already taking Drosophila melanogaster flightless fruit flies for food as well as tropical springtails.

Not sure if these mexi-ping seedlings are being overfed at this point in time, but i'll watch them closely and let them tell me how much they're liking all of the food they've been getting.

P. sharpii is putting out the next largest set of leaves/traps.

P. agnata is coming along quite nicely as well, with very good germination rates from that seed batch.

And P. moranensis, the red rosetted form, even though it's still not yet showing any of that red pigmentation, isn't doing too badly either.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

on all my 2 seeds packet ,you had no germination ?

have you try leaves cutting , for me this method is more interessant than seeds ( no hybridation risk ) and less random.

jeff
    Correct, I have no germination.

Leaf pullings work very well. I love seeds, however, so I need to get genetically different plants to get the seed from. No worries about hybridization. I only have P. gigantea now. No other mexican pinguicula.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I had read of feeding tiny seedlings such as these by sparying with a solution of crushed dried bloodworms. Haven't tried that yet, though.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    dvg,

Where do you get your seed? I'm very interested in growing P. gigantea, and that's about it or the mexican pings. It does well in strong light outside here...or well enough to slowly keep getting bigger at least. Seeds of this species seem difficult to obtain. I at least need to get a few clones of the plant I guess so I can get my own seed

Twas what I was originally trying to do, but alas I still only have one.
    SDCPs, i purchased the mexi-ping seed from Best Carnivorous Plants.

It is possible for you to manually pollinate some of your P. gigantea when they flower, and if you're successful with that, the resulting grown out seeds will provide you with multiple unique plants.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Very nice. I had read of feeding tiny seedlings such as these by sparying with a solution of crushed dried bloodworms. Haven't tried that yet, though.

That sounds like a good idea DragonsEye.

I've decided to rehydrate some bloodworms, and apply some of those to a few of the seedling's leaves to see how that works out.

When i tried the powdered betta pellets previously, i noticed that fungal growth occurred on some of the leaves, but hopefully with the bloodworms the results will be better.

dvg

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use freezed dried bloodworms that I pulverize into a powder, sprinkled, and then use a spray bottle of water. Here's some potential:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ovule is looking quite swollen indeed...what's cookin' in the oven there anyway.

And Good Luck to you too with getting some viable mexi-ping seed!

dvg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour

attention P. sharpii ; P.lilacina are an annual or biennial species like P.lusitanica in europe .

jeff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast