What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dvg,

Where do you get your seed? I'm very interested in growing P. gigantea, and that's about it or the mexican pings. It does well in strong light outside here...or well enough to slowly keep getting bigger at least. Seeds of this species seem difficult to obtain. I at least need to get a few clones of the plant I guess so I can get my own seed :boogie:

Twas what I was originally trying to do, but alas I still only have one.

SDCPs, i purchased the mexi-ping seed from Best Carnivorous Plants.

It is possible for you to manually pollinate some of your P. gigantea when they flower, and if you're successful with that, the resulting grown out seeds will provide you with multiple unique plants.

Very nice. I had read of feeding tiny seedlings such as these by sparying with a solution of crushed dried bloodworms. Haven't tried that yet, though.

chasing_smiley.gif

That sounds like a good idea DragonsEye.

I've decided to rehydrate some bloodworms, and apply some of those to a few of the seedling's leaves to see how that works out.

When i tried the powdered betta pellets previously, i noticed that fungal growth occurred on some of the leaves, but hopefully with the bloodworms the results will be better.

dvg

I use freezed dried bloodworms that I pulverize into a powder, sprinkled, and then use a spray bottle of water. Here's some potential:

017.jpg

That ovule is looking quite swollen indeed...what's cookin' in the oven there anyway.

And Good Luck to you too with getting some viable mexi-ping seed!

dvg

suite

Bonjour

attention P. sharpii ; P.lilacina are an annual or biennial species like P.lusitanica in europe .

jeff

That ovule is looking quite swollen indeed...what's cookin' in the oven there anyway.

And Good Luck to you too with getting some viable mexi-ping seed!

dvg

That one is P. gigantea.

Bonjour

attention P. sharpii ; P.lilacina are an annual or biennial species like P.lusitanica in europe .

jeff

Jeff i noticed that both of these species are very similar and they both have thin, almost see through leaves, unlike the thicker meatier leaves of other Mexican Pinguicula.

So to keep these in cultivation for any length of time would probably require the taking of leaf pullings for propagation on a regular basis or the gathering of seed if possible.

Thanks for the heads up with these plants.

Do you grow these two?

dvg

Even though these P. lilacina seedlings have been very heavily fed, as evidenced by the springtail carcasses left behind on their leaves, they continue to put out new growth at a furious pace.

IMG_0532-Plilacina.jpg

In fact, two of these seedlings have already started to form flower buds, with the larger one in the middle having two flowers in progress and the bottom plant forming one flower at the moment.

IMG_0536.jpg

I've been told that P. lilacina and P. sharpii are annual mexi-pings, so i might either have to remove the flowers or take some leaf pullings of these seedlings to keep them going for me in cultivation.

To think that these seedlings are already making flowers, less than two months from being sown seems incredibly fast for Mexican Pinguicula.

At any rate, because these P. lilacina seedlings are starting to encroach on each other's territory with their leaves overlapping, i'll have to find some time to separate these pings into a more spacious growing environment.

Here are how the P. agnata seedlings are looking today,

IMG_0542-Pagnata.jpg

and the red rosetted P. moranensis, are still a ways off from showing any of their red pigmentation.

IMG_0547-Pmoranensis-red-rosettes.jpg

dvg

suite

Bonjour DVG

I grow P.lusitanica and I have grown lilacina and sharpii but without seeds difficult to continue, so if you have , I'm interested.

in fact like those are annual or biannual they grow fast enough ,in a season they have to make , leaves , flowers and seeds , then dead or exceptionally an other year to grow

jeff

Bonjour Jeff,

I bought these seeds from Best Carnivorous Plants in the Czech Republic.

I'm thinking i might be able to keep these plants going indefinitely, even if i'm unable to collect seed from them, if i'm able to continually take leaf pullings from them.

It's a bit more work, but it might be one way to propagate them and keep them going for longer than a year.

dvg

suite

I have no experience in leaves cutting on these 2 species.

tell me if you have some result.

jeff

Here's another update on a few of those mexi-ping seedlings started back in late October.

IMG_1382-ping-seedlings.jpg

This batch of seedlings grew so much faster than previous batches...the extra feeding made a huge difference.

Repotting is now definitely on the To-Do-List. ;)

dvg

Wow, those are amazing Mr. G :clap:

Holy crap Doug!! Those grew crazy fast!

Back