Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Ping species from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few Ping species from seed

If one has the patience to grow these plants from seed, it's an ecomonical way to add some interesting new mexi-pings to one's collection.

Recently, i had a chance to again try my hand at germinating a few Pinguicula species from seed.

And though the following pics are in no way stellar, as the tiny starts look very similar to garden weeds first emerging from the ground in the spring, they do show the beginnings of little green pings that hopefully will one day be to grace me with either unique foliage or delicate flowers.

P. agnata - These had very good germination.

P. lilacina - Only three of these seeds germinated.

P. orchidioides - One of the last species to germinate, but germination was decent with these. An interesting species, this one also has the synonym, P. stolonifera and is the only Pinguicula species to date that is known to propagate itself through the stolons that it produces.

P. moranensis (Huixteco) - Probably my favorite P. moranensis species, because of it's thick fleshy leaves.

P. moranensis - Another known location mexi-ping with very good germination.

P. moranensis - This one has red rosettes, though not at this stage, and again there was good germination with this species.

P. sharpii - Only three of these seeds sprouted.

All of these plants are currently in vermiculite, and once they are larger, they will be moved to an appropriate media mix, more suited to their personal preferences.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :O Neat!! Congrats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, so awesome! I was looking into buying some ping seeds myself.. How did you do yours? I see on wet vermiculite, did you always keep it soaking wet? what temps? any stratification needed? And how long roughly do they take to germinate? lol sorry, 100 questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I've never seen pics of ping seedlings before!

Thanks for sharing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so fortunate! I've tried hand-pollinating the flowers and have never gotten one single seeds. I have torn petals off and everything imaginable to get the gametes together - nuthin'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Brie these species are are all mexi-pings so they don't need any stratification. They need some moisture to germinate and are grown in my basement under T12 fluorescent lights, and they germinate in about 7 to 10 day's time.

Jim, i can't take any credit for successfully pollinating Pinguicula flowers...these seeds were recently purchased from BCP.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim I will be pollinating a Mexican ping today or tomorrow and will try to get some step by step photos for you, my last attempt ended up with me getting 200+ seeds.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Jim I will be pollinating a Mexican ping today or tomorrow and will try to get some step by step photos for you, my last attempt ended up with me getting 200+ seeds.
    Kewl! I also understand that I may have "barking up the wrong tree" with my attempts, due to genetic incompatibility.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast