What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dormancy time?

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
is this the time I should move all my Pings to a lower shelf and withhold water?
I know Mass told me something about Thanksgiving 'till Valentines.........
Thanks for the help Folks!

Basically, it's fall and winter, and they should have colder temps.

thanks Jim!
I can move them elsewhere in the house to forgo the tropical temps in the GH.

Tis' time.. from Thanksgiving to Valentine's, cool temps and NO water. ;)

There certainly are different views on how to grow these Mexican Pings, and different approaches work better for some growers.

I tend to grow my mexi-pings on the tray system year round, with the exception of the underground bulb making species.

It's been my experience that these plants go in and out of phases where they'll make summer or winter leaves for a while and then revert back to the other leaf type again, but never seem to be truly dormant, since they always seem to have sticky leaves, retaining the ability to capture small prey.

Joseph Clemens made an informative page about his preferred method to keep his mexi-pings watered year round as well.

How to grow Mexican Pinguicula link

In the end though, each grower has to choose what works best for their own set of conditions. :cool:

dvg

I am sort of in the middle, I grow them wet until I see a change in leaf form from carnivorous to succulent, which is where I put them in a separate container and keep them bone dry and humid. As soon as I see 2-3 true carnivorous leaves they go back in the tray and are kept wet again.

I also decrease day length from 15 hrs to 12 hrs starting Nov 1st by decreasing day length 15 minutes per week. April 1 I increase by 15 minutes per week until back at 15hrs.

I follow the same routine as dvg and keep all but the bulb species in trays. They're shallow trays, though, only about 3/4" deep and I let them dry before refilling them. I put the dormant plants into their own tray and give them less water, but never keep them completely dry. I tried that with a few gypsicola one year and lost them.

I drop the lights from 16 to 14 hours in late September then 14 to 12 hours in November, increasing it again in February and April.

Back