What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

woah! whats going on here???

theres something happening to my esseriana plant. the only thing i can think is the two ants i fed it a couple days ago might have something to do with it. other than that it's been growing just fine for like 3 years with a fertilizing mist every now and then. this is the only time i have fed it anything other than the occasional gnat or springtail that it catches on its own....

DSC00332.jpg

I've never seen that before!

NEATO! i didn't know they grew like this. There doesnt seem to be much browning i can see

DSC00337.jpg

I've been meaning to propagate this plant anyways. am i doing it right? should i cover it with a bag or leave it?

DSC00338.jpg

Your plant has mutated into a brussel sprout.

That seems about right for pullings.

The roots look very healthy. Any signs of pests? Fungus gnat larvae perhaps? Have you sprayed the plant with anything: fertilizer, insecticides?

I usually just lay the pullings out on the medium. The plantlets nearly always develop at the leaf base. I never tried "planting" the pullings before.

some of the pullings had roots attatched so i figured that'd be the best way to do it.

no signs of pests at all. and like i said, only misted with light fertilizer everynow and then and the occasional gnat or two.

i blame the ants!

what should i do about the exposed roots?

I would try replanting the mother plant lower in some fresh media. Also, and this is just because I'm too curious for my own good, I would pull back those freaky leaves until I found some healthy looking ones... but I doubt that'd be healthy for it :)

it's already growing normal leaves again....

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

i'll try feeding it a couple more ants in a few months and see if it happens again

Well that's good news. I would think if the ants were responsible that the damage would start at the leaves that were fed. We'll look forward to the results of your experiment.

The photo of the cross section is awesome! Good to hear it's recovering.

Back