0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many hybrids are sterile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey is correct. Also, some Mexican pings don't produce pollen (so I've heard) in cultivation. Basically they flower but are not going to produce seed no matter what in certain conditions. This may be incorrect, but I read a discussion from some knowlegeable growers on the subject.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Mickey is correct. Also, some Mexican pings don't produce pollen (so I've heard) in cultivation. Basically they flower but are not going to produce seed no matter what in certain conditions. This may be incorrect, but I read a discussion from some knowlegeable growers on the subject.
    I did check to make sure the plant is not sterile (searched online for information of crossbreeds and other info)
    I have tried it with P. 'Weser'. That one does not appear sterile judging by all the crosses available. And I remember plenty of pollen I guess my technique was just sloppy. I'll try again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. that was super useful dude! I've tried the "poke and wiggle and hope for the best" method a couple times without success. lol. I do believe I will now try it the "legit way" as you have shown and try again! Cyclosecta x 'Titan' or Cyclosecta x [Agnata x emarginata] sounds like it could be cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what to tell you, gill_za

I haven't tried mexi pings, but I have heard it's all done the same way. It works well for p. caerulea :shrug:

This should work for utricularia also. Same basic principle except the flower is hinged...and you really need a magnifying glass for them

Jimscott: let me know how it works out! I love your p. gigantea BTW. I am sworn to a single mexican ping species...I have determined to grow gigantea, for it alone is worthy! (other mexis are really nice, but I'm not skilled enough and our climate isn't the best for much else.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Don't know what to tell you, gill_za

I haven't tried mexi pings, but I have heard it's all done the same way. It works well for p. caerulea :shrug:

This should work for utricularia also. Same basic principle except the flower is hinged...and you really need a magnifying glass for them

Jimscott: let me know how it works out! I love your p. gigantea BTW. I am sworn to a single mexican ping species...I have determined to grow gigantea, for it alone is worthy! (other mexis are really nice, but I'm not skilled enough and our climate isn't the best for much else.)
    Also possible to damage the stigma flap if not careful. I use the smallest brush i could find to do the pollination of U. nelumbifolia. Harder with the pings things are so much smaller....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Also possible to damage the stigma flap if not careful. I use the smallest brush i could find to do the pollination of U. nelumbifolia. Harder with the pings things are so much smaller....
    You mean harder to pollinate utrics than pings, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dunno i work with huge utricularia so realtively easy to see the parts. Pings tiny by comparison....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast