What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Would Cause This...

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
016-1.jpg

017-3.jpg

They look like wilted lettuce.

Freeze damage or sunburn would be my guess. Either a possibility?

Jim, is there any material left for pullings? I hope you did not loose anything not easily replaceable.

Looks like sun shock. Were these grown inside then placed out in the sun ?

COuld be a change of light or humidity. i've had many pings wilt after being changed from greenhouse to living room conditions, just like this.

Looks like sun shock. Were these grown inside then placed out in the sun ?

Yes... but they've been outside for a couple weeks, now. I had them on a rack, under trays for a few days. Then they were moved to be in direct sun. Days later they reacted. If it was sun shock, they sure had a delayed reaction.

Jim, is there any material left for pullings? I hope you did not loose anything not easily replaceable.

Unfortunately, I did. The P. laueana looks like toast. However, in total coincidence, I took leaf pullings of it and some others, and got them started on the grow rack, inside.

I tried removing the bad butterwort leaves and oddly enough the basal part of the leaves still had turgor to them and required the usual effort to remove them

Freeze damage or sunburn would be my guess. Either a possibility?

The last freeze we had was in April and the lowest overnight low was 40 F, last Thursday.

Sun damage in all probability. I've seen the full reaction delayed. I took some out of sun because they weren't liking it, then they did this days later. I'd say sun/humidity.

So much for trades for now!

Unfortunately it looks like sun damage to me too. I'm so sorry Jim!! Do you think the majority will pull though? PM me, I might be able to help you out with some of the losses.

Last edited:
Oh, that's nothing. An entire collection of pinguicula?

The SAME exact thing happened to my u. nelumbifolia :gong: It was sending up two flower stalks...they were about to open...I could see the purple of the first flower unfolding...and then they died back to the soil. They died off completely...more like an animal than a plant...nothing left.

Now that was a loss :cry:

Seriously, Jim, I'm very sorry. I'm glad you had some backups it seemed, but yes, no p. gigantea trade. If anything, I'll be sending my material to you. Let me know. I have a pic of the flower. (Such a shame. Those P. gigantea were so awesome. They might pull through from the picture though ??? )

Thanks, Crystal & Ian! I updated my grow list, based upon what I saved out, as well as what's recovering:

PINGUICULA:

agnata
'Aphrodite' (agnata x moctezumae)
ehleresiae – Crystal Morgan
esseriana
'Florian' (debbertiana x eseriana)
gigantea
huahuapan
jaumviensis - Warren Auyong
John Rizzi - Mark Wilson
laueana (Clemens "Red #1") - Bob Zeimer
macrophylla – Crystal Morgan
'Pirouette' (agnata x moranensis x ehleresiae)
moctezumae - Candice
'Sethos' (ehleresaie x moranensis)
'Weser' - Joseph Clemens (moranensis x ehleresiae)
1717 *

PING CROSSES

emarginata x cyclosecta - Crystal Morgan
gigantea x moctezumae – Crystal Morgan
gracilis x moctezumae – Jrod
gypsicola x kohres – Jrod
lauenea x emarginata
moctezumae x kohres
moranensis x hautla x ehleresiae – Crystal Morgan

What really stings was that I lost the colimensis that I promised to Amphirion, as well as the gracilis and emarginata. Still trying get a gypsicola...

I believe you sent me P. colimensis with our last trade. I believe it's still pretty small though. Rain check on that one and P. emarginata (newly received). I can help with the P. gracilis and P. gypsicola. I'll look and see what I have, I may be able to fill in a few other gaps as well. How do you feel about Mexi Ping seeds? I just collected some though I didn't write down what the exact cross is. I only know the one parent plant.

Hmmm, didn't realize your Pinguicula collection had downsized so. Time to send you back some more stuff.

I believe you sent me P. colimensis with our last trade. I believe it's still pretty small though. Rain check on that one and P. emarginata (newly received). I can help with the P. gracilis and P. gypsicola. I'll look and see what I have, I may be able to fill in a few other gaps as well. How do you feel about Mexi Ping seeds? I just collected some though I didn't write down what the exact cross is. I only know the one parent plant.

All that sounds great! I never actually started Mexi-pings from seeds. I have had zero luck / skill with hand-pollination. I'd be happy to pay postage.

Shipped today Jim. No worries on postage. I sent the tracking number to your facebook. If for some reason it didn't go through, let me know.

I think sun dammage also.

sorry for you JIMSCOTT

jeff

grow list

Last edited:
Back