User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have successful pollination?

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have successful pollination?

My Pinguicula have been in full bloom this year. I decided to mess around a bit with pollination. I really didn't know what I was doing. I basically just used an old flower stalk from a Drosera, colored the tip black with a Sharpie, found the pollen and rubbed it around the inside of some flowers. I know, real scientific . I also learned how important it is to LABEL what I do. Because of my excellent (actually non-existent) labeling system up to this point, I have no idea what the cross is. It might be selfed or I may have crossed pollinated. So for now they will be known as P. 'Huahuapan' hybrids.

The seeds germinated extremely fast. I'd say it took a week or less. They were sown on May 16th. Unfortunately I didn't write down the germination date. It was around 5-7 days maybe less. They are sown on approximately 4:1 vermiculite and perlite. I placed a bag over the pot to keep the humidity up. I cut a few slits in the bag to allow for some airflow. The pot is sitting in about 1/4" of water. I refill when the water gets used up but before the pot gets dry. So far so good. I also collected some seeds from P. launana. Same deal, I don't know the other parent so they will be P. launana hybrids. They were harvested about a week after the P. 'Huahuapan' hybrid seeds. No germination on those yet.

Here are the P. 'Huahuapan' hybrid seedlings as of yesterday. Please forgive the photo quality. I really should have used a tripod.

Thanks for looking,
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh, nice!

I had a P. "weser" that would flower constantly, it died, and none of my pollination attempts were successful. Alas, I will never have a big enough ping collection to have tow species in flower at once...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peat! Sorry to hear you were not successful with your P. 'Weser'. I don't believe the hybrid is infertile, but it could be. Sometimes I don't have successful pollination either. I thought I had successfully pollinated my P. 'Apasionada'. The flower dropped and the seedpod swelled. It had started to dry so I checked it yesterday. There wasn't anything in the pod. Keep trying, you might get lucky .
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crissytal,

I was wondering about P. weser. It looks like there are crosses of that hybrid with others (found some pics on cpphotofinder).

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great job! I've had a major struggle with hand pollination of Mexican butterworts, even though I've seen the plant part pictures and seen the video and I think I'm doing it right.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had the same "swelling-but-nothing-in-the-pod" trick happen with my P. grandiflora. At least that one produces plenty of gemmae.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great germination rate Crystal! Would love to see an update in a month or two. I never got any of my seedlings to grow past a few mm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have managed to get seeds from non clone P. moctezumae to sibling. Will try to get pics this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast