What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula Agnata mix, help!!!

Can you use a mix of sphagnum, perlite, and sand? Here in Lathrop,CA it is hard to find another sphagnum peat moss brand that doesn't fertilize it!!! At the my local hardware store, they usually only sale miracle-gro. What do you guys recommend??? My local hardware store does sell unfertilized vermiculite, unfertilized perlite, different variety of mosser lee products including(spanish moss soil topping, sheet moss, lfs, rocks, etc.), however it always has miracle-gro products (like their perlite, organic mix, sphagnum moss, etc.)!!! It sucks that things that miracle-gro sells is always fertilized!!! Also, I have heard that mexican pings like alkaline soil, so should I put some crushed coral in??? THANKS!!!:-D

aquatic potting soil works well, so does bonsai soil (same thing aka turface)- crushed coral also works.

i use peat perlite sand and turface in equal parts for all my pings. they really love it with the tray watering method

you could use just perlite and sand with vermiculite if ya can find it. will allow better water retention. i never use sphag with pings so cant back it

They can grow well in just a pure peat and perlite mix, with a lot more perlite than peat, or if you can't find unfertilized peat, a pure perlite/vermiculite/sand/whatever mix will do just fine, as many growers use just mineral mixes.

Your proposed mix would be fine.

Bonjour

I use always a mineral alcalin substrate for all my mexican and some temperate .

if you use peat , attention has not used a substrate too wet, especially at this time,they are normally in dormancy , or else some time rot.

jeff

Back