What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. agnata - colored variety

In 2013, a few of these P.agnata flowers were either self-pollinated or cross-pollinated with the darkest sibling clones.

On July 28, 2013, the seed produced from those pollination attempts was sown, resulting in about 200 seedlings springing up.

Those seedlings were observed; the first ones to color up and darken their early leaves were fed and allowed extra growing space, eventually being moved to avoid overcrowding.

Of those 200 second generation seedlings, here are a few that have been chosen to either be grown on or worked on further.

The largest specimen, on the far right, is a clone/leaf pulling of the dark 'mother' in the first post of this thread, for comparison.

16726275232_571daf2cae_c.jpg

It is the parent of all the other seedlings in the pic above and the pic below.

16520083147_2c39ff238a_c.jpg

One of these second generation seedlings seems to be showing more of the blue pigments than the other colored clones,

16107380923_ca682428bd_c.jpg

which for the most part, tend to have more of the red to reddish-brown pigments.

16539784748_59c0eff8d0_c.jpg

This clone was chosen for its color and ability to color up very quickly from typical 'drought mode' yellow.

16107401143_e28af8ed4b_c.jpg

It will be interesting to follow up with this clone.

16105038084_c084b02fd7_c.jpg

Hopefully it will hold the keys to unlocking

16701463306_eb1cff1a3d_c.jpg

a dark indigo colored 3rd or 4th generation P. agnata.

dvg

It was warm enough today to take a pic outside in full sun.

16745486095_b00e11b783_c.jpg

dvg

Thank you so much for posting these! They are all beautiful! Please keep us updated :)

I don't think I've ever seen a plant with leaves that luscious red in color. You thought about registering any of these as cultivars? They clearly qualify.
Side note: if they ever get propagated they're on my wish list :D

I was growing a similar clone, several years ago.

i-TkcMFgc-L.jpg

The pictures of yours remind me of it. I crossed it with Pinguicula moctezumae, and managed to produce this ->

i-hch3ZNm-M.jpg

I think you are a very masterful grower, and I appreciate what you're doing, by selecting and interbreeding these for desirable traits. Keep up the good work.

I enjoy hearing and seeing what you're doing with these plants.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I don't think I've ever seen a plant with leaves that luscious red in color. You thought about registering any of these as cultivars?

To be honest, these were just done as an experiment to see what might come from it.

Though the results are promising, a few more generations of selecting favorable traits might result in something quite special.

JC, thanks for the kind words, though you have been a major influence both in cultivation and flower pollinating techniques, that were read, studied and implemented from the contents of your threads on this forum - thanks so much!

The CSUF clone is similar in coloring to the first generation mother clone here, and they both have scented flowers.

That scented flower trait will hopefully transfer over to the progeny here, but only time will tell.

dvg

These are still coloring up, but they'll be fed now and hopefully they'll be flowering by year's end.

16804868295_79245063b9_c.jpg

Would like to see how another generation of these will turn out.

dvg

Back