Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something ate my Pinguicula primuliflora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something ate my Pinguicula primuliflora

Luckily I've already gotten some babies off this one and some cuttings so I'm not at a loss, but I'm just curious what did the damage?

See through worm seemed to be the most likely culprit I found in the pot. They were everywhere under the dead leaves.

I also had these maggots in the soil nearby as well.

After removing the dead rosettes I found a huge set of roots, looks like they didn't damage those. I sprayed with Neem. Do you think its likely to come back alive from these roots?
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can try salvaging what's left of the plant, clean it so that there is no media remaining on the tissue, and throw that media away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, I'd say the one in the first picture is the culprit(I think they are fungus gnat larvae). They've been eating my mexican pings recently. I've never heard of pings coming back from roots though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1st pic is definitely a fungus gnat larvae and more than likely the culprit. The 2nd pic appears to be pupa of some kind. Put them in a sealed jar and see what they turn into. Unfortunately, the plant is a goner, it won't come back from the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    The 1st pic is definitely a fungus gnat larvae and more than likely the culprit. The 2nd pic appears to be pupa of some kind. Put them in a sealed jar and see what they turn into. Unfortunately, the plant is a goner, it won't come back from the roots.
    Bummer, sad to see such a nice one go. At least now I know what to look for if it ever happens again. It went from awesome to dead in about five days, but I think if I had known earlier it couldve been saved. And here I thought it was just because of a drop in temps and lack of light.

Does Neem kill these guys?
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have my sympathy, my dog ate all my Moctezumae strikes recently and a bunch of other plants.
    USDA Zone 4b
    My Grow List
    There are only 01 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry that you lost your plant - animals always seem to need to get revenge for all their friends that have been eaten!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its probably the first pic of the gnat larvae. Sorry to hear you lost your ping. I just lost a pot of seedlings to those. Took a couple of days for them to go from thriving to dead. Rummaging through the pot and I found em.
    As for getting rid of them I heard that mosquito dunks in your water will work for the larvae, though I haven't tried it myself. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...us+gnat+larvae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast