Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good starter butterwort?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwende View Post
    Come spring I'd like to start collecting a couple butterworts.

I have a really nice, sprawling collection of Sundews, Nepenthes, VFTs, Sarrs and even bladderworts. Pings are my last unexplored territory (completely unexplored).
    What about Heliamphora? Genlisea? Stylidium? Cephalotus?

You have many 'last unexplored territory' to come :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can help you out. Ive got a ton of Pinguicula Esseriana. i'll send you a few. PM me your address

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told that Pinguicula primuliflora is one of the easiest butterworts to grow. I can't tell you if that's true or not, but I've had mine for a month and I haven't killed it yet. To top it off, Mexican butterworts never go into a very deep dormancy, since they're from Mexico (duh) and it never really gets very cold there. It just so happens that Pinguicula primuliflora also reproduces quickly if it is kept healthy by producing tiny little plantlets on the tips of its leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Mexican species to be more forgiving than temperate ones. The Mexican ones can take quite a lot of missed waterings; they also don't need to stay at least moist all the time

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    I've been told that Pinguicula primuliflora is one of the easiest butterworts to grow. I can't tell you if that's true or not, but I've had mine for a month and I haven't killed it yet. To top it off, Mexican butterworts never go into a very deep dormancy, since they're from Mexico (duh) and it never really gets very cold there. It just so happens that Pinguicula primuliflora also reproduces quickly if it is kept healthy by producing tiny little plantlets on the tips of its leaves.
    I disagree regarding the dormancy. They do indeed go dormant. They reduce in size, stop producing carnivorous leaves, and do not grow. I would say their dormancy is just as deep as D. filiformis in the winter. They require little to no water when they are in this stage.

Here is an example of a P. gypsicola actively growing and an example of the same plant as it is breaking dormancy.

As far as the easiest Pings to grow, I agree with JMN, Mexican Pinguicula are a lot more forgiving than temperates in my experience. I would say, pretty much any Pinguicula that are commonly available are easy to grow. I personally have issues with P. cyclosecta, P. medusina, and to a lesser extent P. gypsicola. The rest are easy .

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Dork in a coffee cup tikiwikitiki2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slightly new to Pings and I started with P. gigantea. It seems to be very forgiving and tolerant of my care. I went through a few trial and errors with it in the beginning.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    I disagree regarding the dormancy. They do indeed go dormant. They reduce in size, stop producing carnivorous leaves, and do not grow. I would say their dormancy is just as deep as D. filiformis in the winter. They require little to no water when they are in this stage.
    All the sources I've found suggest that they never really need to go dormant. If they do, well, at least I'll have maybe six months to figure out how to give mine some sleep!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising even though most tropical plants don't require dormancy; on this 1 source, I heard they require it
    Good thing they don't need cold temps ;D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast