Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinguicula in Paradise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back to Big Pine Key this year. My friend's first reaction was that it looked like a barren wasteland with the bone white limestone contrasting with the scorched pine trunks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Despite the hostile appearance, there were plenty of interesting flowers

including Pinguicula pumila:

It took me a while to find the plants even though I found them a year ago. As I frantically searched, I tried to convince my somewhat skeptical friends that this is the sort of plant that is hard to find at first; but when you find one, you will find many more.

They were hard to find because of their small size, but they did seem to be growing well.

Last edited by astateen; 03-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've got the wrong pics up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, It took a while to fix, but I think they are correct now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics ! I still find it so strange that they're growing where they are. I wonder if any of the Caribbean species like cubensis or the epiphytic casabitoana and lignicola have found their way to parts of the Keys or southern Florida.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible! That sort of thing happens to orchids all the time. Every book I have seen cataloging orchids of the everglades shows different orchid sightings of Caribbean and South American Species. Many of these are isolate and may not have lasted long enough to populate the area. Then again Pinguicula seeds are heavier than orchid seeds and would probably be spread by birds. If they haven't spread here yet it may just be a matter of time.

But I would love for some Caribbean Pings and perhaps epiphytic utrics to make their way into Florida. I guess the best we can do is conserve the ecosystems in South Florida and keep exploring!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Caribbean species of plants have already made their way by hook or by crook to the southern tip of Florida. While Pinguicula seeds are not as light and able to be carried by wind as orchid seeds, it's still a relatively short jaunt from "the Islands" to the Keys. I'd love to see some turn up in the dark corners of southern Florida !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right about that! Cuba is closer to Key West than Key West is to Miami.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12