Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fasciation fascination

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhhhh. Well, that explains it. I don't feed my plants simply because if I did, they'd become obese. My plants love eating things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few pics from today.

And I found another pic with some cristate ping forms in it - scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link below.

http://carnivorousplant.com/growing_..._detailed.html

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when you update! On kind of a side topic, do your normal pings divide often too or is it just the jaumavensis?

Also, when you feed them, do you leave the bloodworms on them until they're gone or do you brush them off after a week?
    Last edited by Firemousey; 06-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemousey View Post
    I love it when you update! On kind of a side topic, do your normal pings divide often too or is it just the jaumavensis?

Also, when you feed them, do you leave the bloodworms on them until they're gone or do you brush them off after a week?
    Hi Firemousey,

My typical pings do not divide as often as this cristate P. jaumavensis has been dividing lately.

With the bloodworms, I usually grind them up into a powder form and then sprinkle the dust onto my plants.

I will usually leave it on, but will occasionally rinse it off, especially with these small cristate forms.

Since my last post, the dividing ping completed the division.

I like to let these dry out after they divide and this time I removed the dome that these were growing under.

A side effect of having more light, resulted in some striping down the middle of the newer leaves and faint striping on the older leaves.

The typical plants are starting to show faint pink stripes as well, but the cristate forms are showing them first.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pings really do like their light don't they? I wonder if they ever get sun-stressed/light-stressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemousey View Post
    Pings really do like their light don't they? I wonder if they ever get sun-stressed/light-stressed.
    Mexi-pings seem to do best under good artificial lighting, which must be quite weak in comparison to having the Mexican sun overhead.

Here are a few pics from today of P. spec. Minas des Asbestos in cristate growth.

Top view

Side view

Opposite side

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really amazing to look at. Thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Eric,

A couple of shots taken in the shade today.

These mexi-pings, when given adequate light, have a faint pink stripe mid-leaf extending out to the fringe of the leaf.

I was able to break apart a couple of these cristata forms into two pieces with my fingers, so there are at least six of these growing in this pot now, along with a couple potential offset prospects that were separated away from a couple of the cristate forms. (a couple shots taken in the sun)

These cristates also form offset growths that retain their cristate pattern, which are then removed and hopefully these will 'catch' and grow into mature cristate forms as well. (top row, centre)

These forms can be propagated by:

a) letting them divide into two on their own

b) breaking the cristate growths into two or more pieces

c) offset cristate growths that were separated from mother plants are looking promising.

d) thus far, single leaf pulls have resulted in typical rosette type growth.

dvg

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast