What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fasciation fascination

Very beautiful substrate, dvg! What are you using? What would you recommend for P. gigantea? It seems that you have a high humidity growing environment, am I correct?

I love crested plants! TY for sharing. These are great!

Very beautiful substrate, dvg! What are you using? What would you recommend for P. gigantea? It seems that you have a high humidity growing environment, am I correct?

Thanks SDCPs, I use a mostly all mineral mix for most of my mexi-pings.

P. gigantea will grow in this type of mix as well.

Here in Alberta, the humidity is quite low and tends to get even lower in winter.

I'm not too concerned with humidity levels - these plants can deal with low humidity - just keep them fed and watered during their active growing season.

I love crested plants! TY for sharing. These are great!

Thanks Catrus, I'm also a bit of a fan of the crested plants. :)

dvg

Those are some of the cutest pings ever. wow. I love the P. jaumavensis.<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Varun.

In the spirit of all things that go bump in the night on this day, here is an update on this P. jaumavensis monster.

15490536307_4dcb58e1b1_c.jpg

Shown here on a bed of garnets.

15490941800_d141f45872_c.jpg

Have a happy Boo...eh.

15490549357_11d931426b_c.jpg

dvg

How does that even happen?!
Generally crestate growth patterns are initiated by having something disturb the plants meristem (the point where cells are rapidly growing and dividing, differentiating into the leaves and stems). The most common disturbance that initiates this is an attack by mites, usually cyclamen mites or other species of spider mites, but there are other disturbances, even chemical ones that can initiate this growth pattern. When I've had Mexican Pinguicula grow in this manner, I appreciated it most, because I could break apart the entire clump and have copious leaf-pullings which I could then grow on to be many plants with normal growth patterns. Though, sometimes I would let a plant continue in this growth pattern, until the entire crest would break into bloom - an interesting sight.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried to cross a crestate growth plant with a non-crestate plant and see what growth pattern the resulting offspring express?

Bumping an old thread to add my P. ehlersiae. I was hesitant to say it was crested because I've seen once with a jaumavensis where it appeared to be on the verge of cresting but instead just divided but now I'm pretty convinced.

My plant used to look like this March 5th:
xNVZaDG.jpg

Here it is May 6th:
LEO6do5.jpg

And here it is today, June 10th:
GKSkFNm.jpg

Za5HUUf.jpg

And some normal looking ones I grew from pullings I took from the plant previously
VynD8sl.jpg

Last edited:
Back