What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

temperate Ping's

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Any one here a fancier of such things?
Two questions.....where in general are you located? and,
do they do well for you?
Thanks for the info

Two questions.....where in general are you located? and,
do they do well for you?

I'm located near Hamburg, Germany.

And some temperate Pinguicula are doing quite well in my climate, i.e. P. macroceras ssp. nortensis from Oregon.

In fact, P. macroceras ssp. nortensis from Oregon is the best of all growing temperate Pinguicula for me.
My temperate Pings are in mini-bogs in outdoor cultivation all year round.

Climate table of Hamburg, Germany in Fahrenheit: http://www.worldweather.org/016/c00055f.htm#climate

Assuming you don't mean warm temperate then yea, I fancy them. I'm in Wisconsin, just North of the Illinois boarder, and they do poorly for me. I can usually get them through the Summer and following Winter and then they mysteriously go belly up. I'll figure it out one of these days though.

I'm located near Hamburg, Germany.

And some temperate Pinguicula are doing quite well in my climate, i.e. P. macroceras ssp. nortensis from Oregon.

In fact, P. macroceras ssp. nortensis from Oregon is the best of all growing temperate Pinguicula for me.
My temperate Pings are in mini-bogs in outdoor cultivation all year round.

Climate table of Hamburg, Germany in Fahrenheit: http://www.worldweather.org/016/c00055f.htm#climate

Very good info.
I have to say that the Nortensis is actually found in Del Norte County, California.
Specifically, the Smith River drainage, within the Siskiyou mountain region. ( part of is which within the Oregon border)
I have hiked my whole life in this region, the last couple of years I have been looking at the CP's native to my area., I have yet to find Nortensis on my (Oregon) side of the border.
Even though the North Fork of the Smith ventures into Oregon near Chrome Creek, and bordering the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area in Southern Oregon.
Gasquet, Ca. is the place to see the Nortensis in situ.
It seems the Nortensis is easier to get in Europe than the U.S.?

I grow both P. macroceras ssp nortensis and P. grandiflora outside year round in an in-ground bog just outside Portland, Oregon, and both do very well for me.

P. macroceras ssp nortensis
8688156666_a6772fd479_n.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

P. grandiflora
8687047903_be7e583908_n.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Wow DJ. They look very pleased.

I have P. grandiflora and P. vulgaris, currently growing them inside under lights. Most people seem to think this is bad idea, but the grandiflora that I've had for years have done amazingly, and the vulgaris are growing quick from seeds I got. Since I'm growing in artificial conditions my location doesn't mean much, but I'm located in northern Colorado. I doubt either one would fare well outside in summer here.

I have to say that the Nortensis is actually found in Del Norte County, California.

Even the name of the subspecies "nortensis" is based on "Del Norte" county.
That's where the holotype of the subspecies was found.

Specifically, the Smith River drainage, within the Siskiyou mountain region. ( part of is which within the Oregon border)
I have hiked my whole life in this region, the last couple of years I have been looking at the CP's native to my area., I have yet to find Nortensis on my (Oregon) side of the border.
Even though the North Fork of the Smith ventures into Oregon near Chrome Creek, and bordering the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area in Southern Oregon.

My plants are originated from a nursery in Germany which is out of business today ("Plantarara"), they had listed them with the location data "Oregon, USA". As I have heard, the ssp. nortensis plants look a little bit different in each location where they can be found.

Gasquet, Ca. is the place to see the Nortensis in situ.

I think that's where nearly all the in situ pictures on the Internet are taken. On many in situ pictures I can see, that the leaves can become red when exposed to higher levels of sun.

The leaves of my ssp. nortensis plants stay all green, no matter how many sun they get, I've never seen a bit of red on the leaves (except a flush of red/brown on very few outer leaves of winter buds). On photobucket I have created an album just for pictures of my cultivated P. macroceras ssp. nortensis plants, if anybody wants to take a look:
http://s973.photobucket.com/user/laconnect/library/Pinguicula macroceras ssp_nortensis?sort=3&page=1
(not only nice flower pictures, but also crippled flowers, winter buds, dead winter buds, leaves and so on)

Last edited:
I live in Iowa and am having success with grandiflora.My biggest issue with them has been not mulching them because of mild winters and then BAM below freezing temps and I am back to scrounging up a few gemma that survive.
Last fall I mulched my single hibernacula under 12-14 inches of pine needles and oak leaves.This spring I harvested 20 gemma from it and they are doing great.They're in a mini-bog I can move around.

I Live in Central Florida. I have P. Caerulea, Lutea, Pumila, Planifolia, Primulflora and Ionantha. I grow them in sphagnum in standing water and keep them outside all year and they all do well.

Those who grow outside, what are the temperate highs for summers in ur area, also do u grow pings in as much direct sun as possible, or shade, and I need some recommendations for how to harden off ping grandiflora for outside life, do most people use tray method or just top water when needed? Thanks

Those who grow outside, what are the temperate highs for summers in ur area, also do u grow pings in as much direct sun as possible, or shade, and I need some recommendations for how to harden off ping grandiflora for outside life, do most people use tray method or just top water when needed? Thanks

We get temps in the 80s and 90s during summer and occasionally hit 100 here just outside Portland, Oregon, and low humidity. My P. grandiflora and macroceras pings grow in full sun most of the day and then shaded by sarrs in late afternoon. Some get a little less sun and some a little more depending on where they are located in the bog. I don't think they do as well in mostly shade and seem to like lots of sun. They are growing in a top cover of moss and seem to do better for me that way. The soil directly under them is peat/sand/pumice or perlite (the rest of the bog is a peat/sand mix).

I can't address your acclimation/watering question as I have always grown mine outside in an in-ground bog year-round and not in pots. I can say that they don't seem to care if they are flooded for a few days in a row at times during spring and winter, and I do flood the bog about once a week during summer.

Back