What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner ping?

ace209

Riverbank CA
Hello everyone i am verry interested in getting a ping it would be my.first one ever. What would you recomend i start with i am verry interested in the Mexican type. Can you help me out on this one any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks' Abel

Honestly, they are all pretty easy to take care of. Probably an agnata or agnata hybrid. Hit up Crystal, she might have a better answer for you. I know she keeps far more than I do.

Welcome to the world of Pings! Most are very easy. There are a handful that are a bit more difficult. I would recommend staying away from P. gypsicola and P. medusina in particular.

Some that are easy to come by are P. 'Weser', P. 'Sethos', P. moranensis, P. moctezumae, P. gigantea, P. agnata. There are many other species and hybrids that are just as easy to grow.

Good luck,
Crystal

The Queen has spoken!!! :banana2: I knew you would be around sometime.

and by the way my new P. medusina are pulling through, you know the ones that got put in the YAHTZEE shaker, they are all dewy now. YIPPIE!!!!

My first Ping was cyclosecta. Incredibly easy to put through winter rest and bring back to summer growth without rotting it.

what are your Summers like in Virginia? I don't think it gets as warm there as it does here.

It gets warmer. We get at least one week where temps laugh at us close to 120F. We don't have the Humboldt Current like you do, so heat and humidity builds to an oppressive level where not even tropical parrots want to deal with it. The Pings stay inside under lights for the Summer. They go outside around the end of August to trigger winter growth.

ok so you get the same heat I do, 115-120 for most of August, just far more humid. That is my biggest hurdle is the dry weather. I grow mine outdoors year round and they do quite well. Just need some shade cloth for part of the summer.

Ok thanks everyone for your responses.

ok so you get the same heat I do, 115-120 for most of August, just far more humid. That is my biggest hurdle is the dry weather. I grow mine outdoors year round and they do quite well. Just need some shade cloth for part of the summer.

That's not August, that's usually in June. I've been to So Cal several times and it always feels like I've walked into an air conditioned building as compared to home.

wow what part of Virginia gets that hot?

Tidewater and Piedmont. Basically anywhere that isn't a mountain.

How about p. Florian

Probably an agnata or agnata hybrid.

+1 on the agnata hybrid. I had given up on pings until an agnata hybrid was recommended to me. I still have a tough time with pings but am getting better. I have had excellent success with P. gigantea as well.

Back