Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrinking crown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Maybe im wrong, i speak from my personnal experience, but try growing this ping in dryer conditions. On your picture, your ping look like mines when i overwater them. All the bottom leaves turn yellow/brown like yours.
    I almost lost a p.rectifolia last month because of this. The plant is recovering well, im lucky.
    I'll try that! I do think that my Piro is getting too much water.

I ground all my bloodworms and keep them in a ziploc. When I feed them I just sprinkle the dust over the leaves. You can see the bigger bloodworm bits in some of the pics.

Also my phone camera is crummy + the light from my sun lamp is really bright. The bottom leaves are lime green with pink tips. The pink looks brown in the pics. =x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, it simply appears that both plants may be getting better conditions with you than they had previously. Etiolated foliage, though it may be larger, does not necessarily indicate a healthier plant. Well-formed compact foliage, can be a better indicator and representation of the particular plant in question. When the genetics of the plant interact in an optimal environment the unique genetic characteristics of the plant are demonstrated more optimally.

Called phenotype, it is the characteristics of an organism, where its genetics is influenced by its environment, to modify the appearance and other traits of the organism. So, for me, the more favorable the environment, the more clearly the plant (Pinguicula) will exhibit the expected character of its genetics/type. Many Mexican Pinguicula, when grown in marginally suitable conditions, though they keep growing and even blooming, may develop ill-defined characteristics, so that they are hardly distinguishable, one from another. Though, if their environment is improved, their appearance will quickly or gradually develop their more distinct and well-defined characteristics.

For example, if I were involved in athletics, as I once was vs being a couch-potato, as I am now, I would have more of the appearance of optimal physical health (more like a young Arnold Schwarzenegger) vs being an aging and odd-shaped lump of flesh.

Many times artificial culture, if carefully adjusted, can provide a more optimal environment than even a plants natural environment. Especially since natural environments often expose plants to stresses that can limit their development. This can also happen in artificial culture, so when we attempt to imitate a plants natural environment, it helps if we carefully consider what naturally occurring events are stressors, that plants can tolerate vs events that overcome limiting factors of plant growth and health. Some naturally occurring environmental factors will limit a plants optimal growth, while others will be essential to that growth, though "common-sense" may make it seem as if they would be stressors, too. For instance, removing natural stressors (limiting factors) is the usual reason that invasive species are invasive.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-09-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant is going dormant. Both look very good and much healthier than your original photos. My opinion is also that you're taking good care of 'em. Blooming is a sign you are feeding appropriately and have good light levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12