Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking crown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrinking crown

Hey guys, what does it mean when a Ping's crown is shrinking? Is it unhappy?

It's been slowly shrinking even though I feed it one a week and it just gave me a flower, there's a second one on its way. The leaves have lots of mucilage and are carnivorous. They also have a pretty pink tint along the edges but are still a night light lime green.

Portland is awfully muggy so I don't think humidity is a problem but there is a little algae in the media.

It went from a crown that was almost 3/4ths of my pointer finger to the size of a nickel. =(

Is it too much heat/light? Humidity? Is it the agae? Is it supposed to happen since it gave me flowers?

How do I make it big again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of ping is it? if its a mexican species they tend to "compact" during certain times of the year depending on light and weather conditions usually in colder or drier weather they form tight compact leaves around the crown this can also be affected by shorter light periods and i have seen that during flowering their leaves become smaller
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a P. 'Pirouette' and the other is a P. laueana, both of which are Mexican Pings. The P. 'Pirouette' is the one I was confused about because it's been shrinking ever since I got it. Portland is pretty humid and fairly warm right now - I'd say in the 80's-90's right now. I really hope it's because it's flowering and that it'll get bigger later! =x
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-09-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say whats going on from a description. If you can post a photo you will probably get more responses (and more accurate advice). Normally flowering itself wont change the size of the leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been feeding them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Hard to say whats going on from a description. If you can post a photo you will probably get more responses (and more accurate advice). Normally flowering itself wont change the size of the leaves.
    This is it at the beginning of the month when it flowered:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...I-think-it-is-!

I got a little over zealous when taking pics because it'd been the first time I'd ever gotten anything to flower ever! Hehe!

This was it when I first got it:

It was bigger than my palm and the crown was almost the size of my pinky. @____@

This is it just now:

It's a little smaller than my palm and the crown is about the size of the end of my thumb.

I cut the flower and stem off because it was wilting (that and I wanted to press it since it was the first flower I ever got to bloom). There's a second flower coming up but it's sandwiched between two leaves, only one of which you can see to the left of the cut off stem.

The crown is to the right of the cut off stem.

Quote Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
    Have you been feeding them?
    I feed both pings bloodworms once every week and the big one, the one I'm curious about, catches an average of 2 bugs a week on top of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe im wrong, i speak from my personnal experience, but try growing this ping in dryer conditions. On your picture, your ping look like mines when i overwater them. All the bottom leaves turn yellow/brown like yours.
    I almost lost a p.rectifolia last month because of this. The plant is recovering well, im lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemousey View Post
    This is it at the beginning of the month when it flowered:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...I-think-it-is-!

I got a little over zealous when taking pics because it'd been the first time I'd ever gotten anything to flower ever! Hehe!

This was it when I first got it:

It was bigger than my palm and the crown was almost the size of my pinky. @____@

This is it just now:

It's a little smaller than my palm and the crown is about the size of the end of my thumb.

I cut the flower and stem off because it was wilting (that and I wanted to press it since it was the first flower I ever got to bloom). There's a second flower coming up but it's sandwiched between two leaves, only one of which you can see to the left of the cut off stem.

The crown is to the right of the cut off stem.

I feed both pings bloodworms once every week and the big one, the one I'm curious about, catches an average of 2 bugs a week on top of that.
    How do you feed them, do you dust some powder over the leaves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast