Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula Possibilities

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinguicula Possibilities

So this here is my first seed pod of what I believe to be P. planifolia X 'Pirouette' but I have to say despite my hopes I am a bit skeptical. I was under the impression that P. planifolia could not hybridize with the Mexican pings and if it was to self pollinate it needed pollen from a different flower on the plant. It was the only P. planifolia bloom in the greenhouse and I did very carefully hand pollinate it with the P. 'Pirouette' so as to avoid any self pollination. To be honest when I did this I didn't have any hope of it actually producing a seed pod I was just hoping for a miracle :P So we will see what sprouts later!

Feel free to put your two cents in if you have more experience pollinating P. planifolia!

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-10-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Nomenclature, scientific names are both singular and plural without added letters or punctuation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be strange if this pollination was successful. I too was under the impression that the Mexican species were too genetically different to successfully hybridize with the North American or European species. I've had several Pinguicula species apparently self pollinate, P.laueana being the most prone to this. I've also inadvertently self pollinated Pinguicula flowers while trying to extract pollen. Keep us updated on the progress of the seedlings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... today I got my first sprouts! About 15 so far but I'm sure there will be more to follow in the next few days. Glad to know, if it was hybridized, that the seed is viable. Although I have read the seed from P. planifolia can produce some weak seedlings that croak easily. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have something to photograph.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-10-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Keep us updated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it may be a while until I can get some decent pictures but seeing as it has been a month since my last post I can safely say the seedlings do not seem 'weak'. I have about 30 very small sprouts and they are all growing slowly but steadily. The only strange thing I have observed is the drastic difference in germination that is dependent on temperature. I split up the seeds into two different pots so that I didn't put all my eggs in one basket. I placed one pot out in my greenhouse (50-85 degrees) and one inside in my terrarium (roughly 75 degrees consistently). Same soil mix, same water, same number of seeds. The pot in the greenhouse has sprouted just about every seed I put in it but the one in the terrarium is completely barren. Not a single sprout. I will probably post pictures in about a month if everything continues on well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading the ping crosses thread reminded me of this. How are the seedlings coming along? It seems you have a one of a kind cross on your hands!
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is, you most likely have a nice group of P. planifolia seedlings. Perhaps it became self-pollinated when you were working to cross-pollinate it. Though, if you did manage to produce viable seed from such a crossing, it would be very interesting indeed. I've never heard of anyone even succeeding with crosses between the various homophyllous southern USA species, let alone a cross like you're attempting. I, myself, have attempted, on many different occasions, to create such crossings.

The only semi-unusual crossing I was ever successful with, was self-pollinating a P. 'Sethos' plant. I obtained one initial plant of this cultivar, propagated more than a dozen additional plants via leaf-pullings, then proceeded to attempt crossing them with themselves. It was the only Mexican derived Pinguicula I had, at that time. Most pollination attempts were unsuccessful, with the flowers and stalks withering, soon after their attempted pollination. Several times, pollination seemed to be producing seed pods, but then those pods would eventually shrivel, too. And others would produce seed, but it would either fail to germinate, or obviously be seed husks, empty of any actual seed. But, finally, after dozens of promising attempts, at last I had seed that actually germinated - I was very pleasantly surprised. They produced about fifty - sixty seedlings or more, and it being my first, ever, having Mexican Pinguicula seedlings, I planted them out into a shoebox sized tray, half-filled with 100% peat moss. I kept them watered and gave them good light, but a year later they were each no larger than a nickel. So, I decided to experiment, and I made up a very weak solution of Peters 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer with trace minerals (~ 80 ppm), and gave them a light spritz with it. Soon, they began to grow rapidly, and in a few weeks, spritzing them lightly with the fertilizer solution, every few days, they were crowding each other in the same shoebox sized tray, and one was even sending up a flower bud.

-----------------
    How are your seedlings doing? Can you share a pic?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-10-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am definitely going to try out the weak fertilizer on them. They are growing painfully slow!!

Last edited by KNepenthe; 11-10-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast