User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When's the best time to take Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' leaf cuttings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When's the best time to take Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' leaf cuttings?

Hi all,
    Received a Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' today. Looks real good but I'd like to know when to take leaf cuttings. I've failed somewhat in the past with pings due to I believe over watering (I.E. left in a water tray instead of just keeping moist) so I'd like to eventually take a leaf or 2 to start a few new plants just in case. The plant does not appear to be in dormancy at all (no succulent leaves).

Thanks in advance for any help/tips!

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to take pullings after the plant is dormant. It's the succulent leaves you're looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time is usually alright for me.

Take a leaf, lay it on a mineral mix (perlite|vermiculite|pumice works well for me) in a close pot.
    The mix need to be humid but I usually only put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pot.
    Be sure that the white part of the leaf is a bit buried and you should have plantlets in a few weeks.

Really easy. The trick is to not use too much water but keep high humidity. That way, the leaf will not rot.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time will do. You just have a better chance of success when the leaves are in the succulent phase. The pullings just have to stay alive long enough for the plantlets to develop to the point where they will survive on their own.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the replies! I had heard different time frames but succulent leaves were the main one. This plant isn't in dormancy though. I'm going to give it several weeks to acclimate to my house/window before deciding when to do it but I wanted more expert opinions.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Aphrodite' is one of the ones that you cannot count on to go dormant, however. They may slow down during winter, and leaves will often shorten, but they won't go truly succulent all the time. Taking a leaf pulling during spring would probably be your best bet, so within the next couple months. If you're worried about losing the plant, take a pulling or two now, even active growth leaves can be used.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    'Aphrodite' is one of the ones that you cannot count on to go dormant, however. They may slow down during winter, and leaves will often shorten, but they won't go truly succulent all the time. Taking a leaf pulling during spring would probably be your best bet, so within the next couple months. If you're worried about losing the plant, take a pulling or two now, even active growth leaves can be used.
    Sounds like a plan. The plant is healthy but I haven't mastered mexican pings yet so I want a backup plan! Thanks for the info!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Aphrodite never went dormant at all. Been blooming off and on throughout the year too. IME, Aphrodite tends to pup easily so leaf strikes are not always essential.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast