What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula potosiensis carnivorous flower (my first ever!)

just look at it! :0o: isnt it amazing?
image-8.jpg
image-9.jpg

Nice! Such a big flower compared to the rosette!

Very cool! Do you plan to collect & sow the seeds?

@Tanukimo thanks!!

@Radagast I wish I could collect the seeds, but i dont even know how to pollinate the flower or if its even possible!

If you want to try pollinating it, take a toothpick, and, if you don't mind ruining the flower, tear off the bottom half of the flower. You'll see the apron-like stigma, and right behind it are the stamens. Take the toothpick, swipe the pollen off the stamens, and deposit it on the stigma. If you're like me and hate ruining the flowers, a much harder route is to carefully insert the toothpick down the mouth and swipe it across the stamens behind the stigma, then carefully pull it back and deposit the pollen. Not all species are self-fertile, and there seems to be an odd timing issue for some, but if you're lucky it may work.

Nice! Looks like you've figured out what makes them happy! That flower is beautiful!
:D

Pretty!

Lovely flower! How large does this species get?

@hcarlton thanks for your detailed info on helping me pollinate its flower.

@Acro yup I did it! xD

@Jim- thanks!!

@Dragon's eye-thanks! I haven't seen the plant in carnivorous phase yet, inspite of having it over a year now. Im expecting those leaves in the summer, I have gotten a couple of strikes from pullings ive made ironically those have stayed in carnivorous growth throughout their immaturity. I have seen pics of this species and it seems to get about as big as a moranensis tho

Innoculating wires actually work great for Ping pollination and won't damage the flower.

But be aware that a pollinated flower will wither much faster than an unpollinated one.

Back