User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are some tropical mexican pinguicula that NEVER form winter succulent leaves?

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind hybrids, Aphrodite stays in carn mode year-round for me. Bit of a crap shoot whether or not moranensis forms non carn leaves. I have some plants that do, some don't and a couple that can't make up their mind and try to do both during the winter.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although its subtropical I would say P. primuliflora is a great starter ping.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My P.moranensis, primuliflora, esseriana and leuneana are my only pings that never go dormant, but I maintain their water tray in winter and summer (or dry and wet here) and have a tropical climate so cold dormancy is not an issue, they flower happily throughout the year and are healthy (with the exception of prim which is yet to flower, but spreads through its tips well).
    I think that any tropical ping can be kept as a permanent carn providing you have correct lighting, water and temps to match it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Everyone, all your responses are greatly appreciated! I was looking into hemiephytica. Ill go ahead and see where i can find it
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, it took me years to track one down. It's difficult to propagate from leaf pullings due to it's tendency to not fully go into dormancy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. gigantea, moranensis, 'Aphrodite', hemiepiphytica, emarginata, moctezumae and a few of the other more southerly growing species are plants which can go without dormancy or do not have a dormancy period. P. gigantea does not go dormant, but does shrink during winter and leaves get thicker, however it still stays carnivorous. P. moranensis as pointed out, has numerous forms of which some will or won't go dormant, and 'Aphrodite' is a hybrid of that species which carries the trait. The others are types which either live in constantly moist areas or in the wild are annuals, and so have no dormant phase.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure this is a decent thread to ask: since P. gigantea doesn't really go dormant, when is the best time to propagate it with leaf pullings? I'd like to get a couple started off of my one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havent worked with gigantea yet, maybe other members can shine light on this specific specie but in general, I did propagate P. emarginata once from a carnivorous leaf. The trick is to sacrifice a very newly soon-to-be fully opened "robust" leaf. these leaves also tend to be thicker, and try to get as much of the base as possible, try teasing it back and forth with your index finger and it will come off. keep it moist and you should have strike/s in the base end of it soon.
    Last edited by Salgadoxx8; 03-19-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Gen 1:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12