What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what are some tropical mexican pinguicula that NEVER form winter succulent leaves?

i want to search for mexican pinguicula that dont form succulent leaves and are carnivorous year long, any sugestions? i want something tropical in a sense that likes being in a humid environment( sorta like a jungle butterwort) any species?

P. gigantea, P. moranensis come to mind

D'amato says there is little difference between winter and summer growth of P. reticulata and some people say agnata, although in the one I grow the winter leaves are not carnivorous.

funny they are full on slime all the time for me. maybe i dont get cool enough or have short enough days? Was enough to get gigantea to flower this year.

Actually, P.hemiepiphytica doesn't go into full dormancy for me either.

funny they are full on slime all the time for me. maybe i dont get cool enough or have short enough days? Was enough to get gigantea to flower this year.

Do you stop watering them in winter ?

If you don't mind hybrids, Aphrodite stays in carn mode year-round for me. Bit of a crap shoot whether or not moranensis forms non carn leaves. I have some plants that do, some don't and a couple that can't make up their mind and try to do both during the winter.

although its subtropical I would say P. primuliflora is a great starter ping.

My P.moranensis, primuliflora, esseriana and leuneana are my only pings that never go dormant, but I maintain their water tray in winter and summer (or dry and wet here) and have a tropical climate so cold dormancy is not an issue, they flower happily throughout the year and are healthy (with the exception of prim which is yet to flower, but spreads through its tips well).
I think that any tropical ping can be kept as a permanent carn providing you have correct lighting, water and temps to match it.

thanks Everyone, all your responses are greatly appreciated! :) I was looking into hemiephytica. Ill go ahead and see where i can find it

Good luck, it took me years to track one down. It's difficult to propagate from leaf pullings due to it's tendency to not fully go into dormancy.

P. gigantea, moranensis, 'Aphrodite', hemiepiphytica, emarginata, moctezumae and a few of the other more southerly growing species are plants which can go without dormancy or do not have a dormancy period. P. gigantea does not go dormant, but does shrink during winter and leaves get thicker, however it still stays carnivorous. P. moranensis as pointed out, has numerous forms of which some will or won't go dormant, and 'Aphrodite' is a hybrid of that species which carries the trait. The others are types which either live in constantly moist areas or in the wild are annuals, and so have no dormant phase.

I figure this is a decent thread to ask: since P. gigantea doesn't really go dormant, when is the best time to propagate it with leaf pullings? I'd like to get a couple started off of my one.

i havent worked with gigantea yet, maybe other members can shine light on this specific specie but in general, I did propagate P. emarginata once from a carnivorous leaf. The trick is to sacrifice a very newly soon-to-be fully opened "robust" leaf. these leaves also tend to be thicker, and try to get as much of the base as possible, try teasing it back and forth with your index finger and it will come off. keep it moist and you should have strike/s in the base end of it soon.

Last edited:
Back