What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shipping ping seeds to the us

illegal or not?
I heard it was illegal and the seeds would be destroyed .
I was looking to buy some from bestcarnivorousplants.com ,in thier faq's I read

"We are located in the European Union, so we can deliver our plants to all European countries without any permits required. We are able to send plants anywhere in the world though. It is up to the grower to determine what are the rules for importing of the plants into his/her country and inform us of these requirements. If required, we are able to issue Phytosanitary certificates and/or CITES documents. Seeds may be imported without restrictions (there are a few exceptions). We always try to help our customers, so they can receive their plants without complications."

any info helps as to whether its legal or not

If you want to play by the book, apply for a PPQ 587 permit with the ssl, small seed lot phytosanitary certificate exemption. Through USDA APHIS program. If you use snail mail, that is one thing. To use the online system, call your local office and let them know you want level two access. You will create an account online and then go to their office to verify your info, ie. show then your drivers license. Then you log back into the system to access the online permit applications. Slow going at first, but you will figure it out, or find where to get help.

If you want to play by the book, apply for a PPQ 587 permit with the ssl, small seed lot phytosanitary certificate exemption. Through USDA APHIS program. If you use snail mail, that is one thing. To use the online system, call your local office and let them know you want level two access. You will create an account online and then go to their office to verify your info, ie. show then your drivers license. Then you log back into the system to access the online permit applications. Slow going at first, but you will figure it out, or find where to get help.

TerraForums does not condone or encourage illegal activities. Get the permits. Except for a CITES permit they are free and only costs you the time, or postage or gas money to get level 2 access. You can apply online (level 2 access required) by fax (no 800 number) or by snail mail. It takes about 15 days start to getting your labels online to 30 days by phone or mail.

If you don't get the permits a phyosanitary certificate is required. Seeds with the permit or phytosanitary certificate must be inspected by the Plant Protection and Quarantine Unit of the USDA.

Phyosanitary certificates cost from $20 to $200 depending on the country of origin and are supplied by the seller.

The Small Seed Lots Permit was implemented so enthusiasts could buy or obtain seeds from overseas without having to pay $200 for a Phyosanitary Certificate for a $3.00 pack of seeds.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136133-Getting-import-permits?highlight=importing
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/135577-USDA-Permit-Madness?highlight=importing
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/129001-importing?p=1097395&viewfull=1#post1097395

Whats the go with Ping seed viability, I have been umimg and arring about buying some but am worried it may have a very short lifespan like orchioides utrics or lowland nepenthes, and am worried my seed will die in transit, or worse be old seed.

So, what is the average lifespan of
Tropical pings
Temperate pings (which I presume is longer)
Orchid utricularia (quelchii, campbelliana.....)
General Aquatic utrics (purpurea, vulgaris)
and Genlisea?

Wish I could tell you whatever you buy will be gold and you will get 80 to 90% germination. Most of what I have been told, heard, and my limited experience is that for your utrics, aquatic utrics and genlisea, buy plants and save your time and money. For the most part. Of course, if you know the source and that they are fresh, your odds of success go up. You are in AU. Lots of cool utrics grow there. Have you tried sourcing locally? I think I read somewhere that Genlisea seed germination rates drop like a stone after two weeks or so. Heck, someone sent me U. subulata seeds and they did not sprout.:)

more conflicting information..
I contacted the site and they sent me this

"Yes, sending seeds is possible without any permit.

Best regards,

Kamil Pasek"

I have quite a few Au utrics already, mainly from W.A, QLD and NSW, but i'm much more interested in utrics like purpurea or Quelchii, which to my knowledge are not in Au, perhaps the ICPS conference in Cairns will change that.

more conflicting information..
I contacted the site and they sent me this

"Yes, sending seeds is possible without any permit.

Best regards,

Kamil Pasek"

Yes it is possible. It is even done often. It is still in violation of the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 7 concerning Plant and Animal Quarantine Imports. The vendor is going to tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale. It's no threat to him, he's not the one going to face possible fines and prison time. And worst he'll be out a few bucks if the seeds get intercepted by the USDA or the Department of Homeland Security and you ask for a replacement. I don't pretend to know what the laws are for the Czech Republic and I'm not about to advise people on what is legal or prohibited over there. There are overseas vendors that will tell you you don't need paperwork for CITES material too. Are you going to believe them?

BCP will work with you on the permits. All you have to do is send them the copy of your permit and the labels. They know what to do because they have done it before.

where do I go to verify these laws, because I msgd BCP again and they are saying its legal and you're saying its not
conflicting info
'What I know, it is legal. But you should to know your laws better than me. ;-)
K. '

Take a look at the third link in my post above. The Code of Federal Regulation and US Codes are referenced there. Download and READ the two circulars linked at the bottom of the post. There's a reason why I link posts so I don't have to repeat myself. Send the circulars to the seller. They have mailed material with the permits before.

From the circular PPQ37-1:

"Be aware that you must obtain a phytosanitary certificate of inspection from the country of
origin for any nursery stock or other class of plant, root, bulb, seed, or other plant product, for
or capable of propagation
, excluding certain plants from Canada (i.e. seeds with a seed analysis
certificate and greenhouse-grown plants with a label issued by the CFIA) the plants and articles
accompanied by a PPQ-issued permit that provides an exemption from such documentation." (Such as the Small Seed Lot permit).

Last edited:
thanks for the info but relax man I didn't even see the links, must of assumed they were part of your sig or something idk but they didn't catch my eye. Otherwise I wouldn't of asked where I can find the information.

Back