What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last year when some of my Mexi-pings were flowering I took the time to cross pollinate a few of those flowers.

One of the plants in flower was this seed grown P. agnata.

And its flower

It was crossed with this P. colimensis.

And its flower

These were the resulting P. colimensis x agnata seedlings with P. colimensis used as the mother. Sown July 28, 2013

And the reverse cross - P. agnata x colimensis with the P. agnata mother providing a bit of color to her seedlings. Sown July 28, 2013

Next up are some crosses made with P. heterophylla used as the father/pollen donor.

And its flower

P. colimensis x heterophylla still in its bulb-like form. Sown August 7, 2013

P. moranensis x heterophylla with the top seedling just coming out of its bulb, while the lower seedling resumes active growth from a succulent stage that didn't involve retreating back to a bulb. Sown August 15, 2013

P. agnata x heterophylla was the easiest of the three P. heterophylla crosses to keep growing without entering into a succulent form and it doesn't form a bulb. Sown September 4, 2013

All of the above crosses were allowed to dry out for some time and are now being revived with more moisture and hopefully after a few feedings will be growing well again for me.

dvg

Last edited:
beautiful parents especially the burgundy agnata :-O

beautiful parents especially the burgundy agnata :-O

Thanks Salgadoxx8, that agnata also has a nicely scented flower.

It was grown from seed by way of BCP.

dvg

You have incredible plants! I've never been able to hand pollinate pings, even though, technically, I know how. What is BCP?

Thank you JimScott, BCP refers to Best Carnivorous Plants from the Czech Republic.

-dvg

It will be interesting to see what the flowers look like.

It will be interesting to see what the flowers look like.

Yes BobZ, but the flowers will have to wait until these mexi-pings come out of their second rest period.

These mexi-pings were coming out of dormancy/succulent mode, when they were first shown back in early June, and now some of them are getting ready to return to another seasonal respite.

P. colimensis x agnata in a 4" pot.
15438429547_4b83efc11b_c.jpg

And the reverse cross, P. agnata x colimensis, in a 3" pot.
15003677064_447d170056_c.jpg

Now, the P. heterophylla crosses:

P. moranensis x heterophylla
15625290642_d74f8d5169_c.jpg

P. agnata x heterophylla, in a 4" pot.
15625310072_f5c4d6cba8_c.jpg

Another seedling of the same cross, P. agnata x heterophylla, outdoors,
15621793901_4e5ba68e60_c.jpg

and the same plant above, shot indoors with the resolution cranked up.
15438882860_da14f8bbf9_c.jpg

And finally, P. colimensis x heterophylla, a plant I had pretty much given up on, as it stayed in dormancy for so long,
15438480087_13c5eed8bb_c.jpg

only just recently, throwing out its first few leaves.

dvg

That agnata x heterophylla is stunning!

'Very nice. Thanks for keeping up with the photo documentation so we all get a look!

Wow! All of your plants look gorgeous

That is a gorgeous set of plants! You certainly hit gold with some of those crosses.
Out of curiosity, this is slightly off topic, but has anyone had success crossing hybrids, or just species?

Beautiful pings DVG.Cultivar worthy I think the agnata x heterophylla really is special.I would love to grow a couple of them the leaf colour is amazing,good job and as always well documented

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous set of plants! You certainly hit gold with some of those crosses.
Out of curiosity, this is slightly off topic, but has anyone had success crossing hybrids, or just species?

:offtopic:
I've successfully self-pollinated the cultivar Pinguicula 'Sethos', which is a selection from the hybrid (Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis). Apparently others have successfully crossed P. 'Sethos' (a hybrid), with several different species. I've grown one clone of the cross, (P. 'Sethos' x P. gypsicola), its appearance certainly gave the impression that it was truly such a hybrid. This clone's flower clearly resembles the seed parent. See ->

i-J6zfkjb-XL.jpg

If you check out the Pinguicula section of the CP Photo Finder, you will see several others, as well as many primary hybrids (hybrids between species) listed there.

It's inspiring to see growers doing such an excellent job caring for their plants, so they are close to their full potential. Also, developing hybrids, this can help us better understand these amazing plants.

Last edited:
:offtopic:
Here are some later plants of this hybrid clone, produced in 2006 via leaf-pullings ->

i-KWc2RgC-M.jpg

Initially I grew this clone in straight peat moss, with the same lighting, temperature, and watering (see pic in post before this one). It was quite pale. I believe the darker colors in the leaves are primarily due to being planted in all-mineral media (mostly APS), and having a little iron oxide powder added to the media.

Last edited:
Beautiful plants.... great job...

Enough of a detour. Sure, there are several hybrid Mexican/equatorial Pinguicula plants that have been crossed with species and with other hybrids to produce complex hybrids. Hopefully there will continue to be more.

dvg is doing excellent work, first in learning to cultivate some difficult species of Pinguicula, very well. Second by creating various hybrids with them, that are also progressing to maturity. The selection of such a highly pigmented Pinguicula agnata, should help the seedlings to stand out, if they inherit that characteristic. I anxiously await the continued results of these endeavors. I greatly appreciate dvg's willingness to share these efforts with the rest of us.

Initially I grew this clone in straight peat moss, with the same lighting, temperature, and watering (see pic in post before this one). It was quite pale. I believe the darker colors in the leaves are primarily due to being planted in all-mineral media (mostly APS), and having a little iron oxide powder added to the media.

I've always wondered at butterworts with such bold, dark colors. I've been considering all-mineral media for awhile but I think it is about time to give it a try.

Hey, what is your growing condition? like temperature and lights? thanks!!!! your plants are so supremely gorgeous. Esp P. agnata x heterophylla and P. colimensis x agnata. they arreeeeeee stunnnnnniiingghg!!!! oohs myygggooooooooodddddddddddddd

Wow! Those are some fantastic crosses! If...if only you weren't in Canada. ;)

Back