What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings of a Different Color

I am thinking about maybe getting into pings. I find the colorful, non green ones most appealing, but I am unsure what ones would be the best starter plants. Any ideas?

Moranensis is really easy, flowers prolifically and goes a maroon colouration when in enough sun, I use African violet mix and spag, 10cm tall pot and a 2-3cm year round water tray, in shade they grow bigger, faster and flower more for me, but in higher light levels they are maroon and small.

Moranensis is really easy, flowers prolifically and goes a maroon colouration when in enough sun, I use African violet mix and spag, 10cm tall pot and a 2-3cm year round water tray, in shade they grow bigger, faster and flower more for me, but in higher light levels they are maroon and small.

No dormancy?

P. moranensis is one of the species that does not have an obligate dormancy period. It can go dormant, but it doesn't need to oftentimes.

Offhand, P. agnata and P. laueana are two that readily turn red / purple.

I am thinking about maybe getting into pings. I find the colorful, non green ones most appealing, but I am unsure what ones would be the best starter plants. Any ideas?

Pinguicula moranensis 'A' turns red

This is P. moranensis GG.

Otherwise Planifolia, I have never tried growing them but I have been told they are easy enough

I've heard the temperate and warm-temperate pings can be hard because they rot out very easily if temperature changes in the spring are too rapid.

I second laueana though. The flowers are also a really pretty shade of bright red. Cyclosecta is also a good choice; the leaves are a sort of gray blue/purple.

P. planifolia is super easy, at least where I live. I grow them outside and they have been subjected to being frozen solid to 14 F and temps in excess of 107, but then again I am right in the middle of this species range so it might be more difficult outside of that area.

Another interesting thing about this species is that it likes to grow underwater sometimes.

They all look like little carnivorous roses, and I have got to get a hold of cyclosecta.

i have been looking for pings for the last several days. Thank you posting this as I was really lost. Like yourself I really want the pink and red ones, green ones meh ???. The suggestions are great but it seems like this isn't the season to buy them? I want at least four and it sucks I can't buy them from one store.

They are like carnivorous poinsettias (yes, well aware poinsettias turn red in low light and green with more, just a comment on how they look).

Love it.
Makes me want to rekindle my ping collection!

Back