User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Butterwort leaf pullings grow slowly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    ...or crushed coral or egg shells... I also pulverize freezed dried bloodworms and sprinkle on the leaves.
    Thanks Jim! time for a trip to the pet store!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it most likely depends on the plant. My Pirouette pulling seems to be growing pretty fast, almost as fast as the mother plant.

My generic Mexican Ping pulling was successful, and one of those leaves fell off accidentally and that started a new plant as well! That one is growing slower.
    I. CAN'T. STOP. BUYING. PLANTS.

bannister's grow list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    They do not NEED purely alkaline soils, the ones I grow do fine in peat/perlite mixes. Though I do lean greatly toward perlite in the mix which does have a more basic pH.
    And they will grow faster under a good fert regime, though you should be careful with the kind you use, since some fertilizers can irreparably burn the plants. Maxsea is a good choice.
    1) Mexican pings need access to calcium. It has an impact on meristematic growth. What happens at the meristems? Offsetting, root tip growth, and flowering. Those are increased when plants can get Ca.
    2) a high pH retards the development of Fusarium, which causes crown rot

They don't *need* it, but you're just asking for trouble if you grow them in a situation outside a terrarium, where they are confronted by disease constantly.
    Last edited by theplantman; 09-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... every one of my plants has divided ridiculously recently, they flower on and off all year long, and there are roots galore on all of them. Does perlite contain notable levels of calcium then?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the growth rate can be effected by the individual leaf, I have had moranensis and rectifolia pulling's taken at the same time from the same plant, then after a couple months a few were close to an inch, others not even half, all in the same pot, so same conditions.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pings: care and cultivation

Perhaps 95% of these tropical heterophyllous species come from Mexico. They generally flower twice per year and exhibit different leaf types in summer and winter. The plants are further divided into calciphilious (calcium-loving), and calciphobic (calcium-hating). P.gypsicola and P.heterophylla are examples of the former, while P. colimensis, P.cyclosecta, P.ehlersia (sic.), P.esseriana, P.moranensis, P.rotundiflora, and P. zecheri are examples of the latter. The calciphilious forms appreciate high pH media (either vermiculite based, or with an addition of limestone or gypsum to the planting mix). The calciphobic species appreciate a standard, acid CP mix like peat/sand.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that clears up plenty of the debates here....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, 'Not a Number'.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast