User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 18

Thread: Do Butterwort leaf pullings grow slowly?

  1. #1
    Gardening freak! tommyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley of N.Y.
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do Butterwort leaf pullings grow slowly?

    I've been attempting to start new plants of 'Gigantea', 'Aphrodite' and 'Alfred Lau 13' and man they are growing VERY SLOWLY. Is that normal? Under a T5 light about 3-4 inches away. anything I could do to speed things up even a tiny bit? I'm relativly new to starting these.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes


    This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

  2. #2
    theplantman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foliar feeding with 1/16 tsp-per-gallon-strength fertilizer is a good start, provided you have good light and high humidity.

  3. #3
    Gardening freak! tommyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley of N.Y.
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Foliar feeding with 1/16 tsp-per-gallon-strength fertilizer is a good start, provided you have good light and high humidity.
    I have been dropping a bit of 1/4 strength 20-20-20 on their tiny leaves but don't notice a difference. Forgot to add that it's a standard 50/50 peat moss / Perlite mix. Maybe too much peat?
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes


    This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

  4. #4
    theplantman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need alkaline soil. You need to add limestone for these plants to thrive.

    Additionally, your mix may not have enough air for them. If there's no air, they won't grow good roots.

  5. #5
    Gardening freak! tommyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley of N.Y.
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    They need alkaline soil. You need to add limestone for these plants to thrive.

    Additionally, your mix may not have enough air for them. If there's no air, they won't grow good roots.
    Makes sense. Going to have to get some APS I think. Maybe add some Mir-A-Cal to the mix It's supposed to increase PH.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes


    This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

  6. #6
    hcarlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO, USA
    Posts
    3,573
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do not NEED purely alkaline soils, the ones I grow do fine in peat/perlite mixes. Though I do lean greatly toward perlite in the mix which does have a more basic pH.
    And they will grow faster under a good fert regime, though you should be careful with the kind you use, since some fertilizers can irreparably burn the plants. Maxsea is a good choice.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

  7. #7
    Gardening freak! tommyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley of N.Y.
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    They do not NEED purely alkaline soils, the ones I grow do fine in peat/perlite mixes. Though I do lean greatly toward perlite in the mix which does have a more basic pH.
    And they will grow faster under a good fert regime, though you should be careful with the kind you use, since some fertilizers can irreparably burn the plants. Maxsea is a good choice.
    Ahhh, funny you mention that! I started putting a little Maxicrop on the leaves. Maybe that will help.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes


    This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

  8. #8
    Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    18,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    They need alkaline soil. You need to add limestone for these plants to thrive.

    Additionally, your mix may not have enough air for them. If there's no air, they won't grow good roots.
    ...or crushed coral or egg shells... I also pulverize freezed dried bloodworms and sprinkle on the leaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •