Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinguicula pullings

I am thinking of taking some pullings from two of my Pinguicula, moranensis and cyclosecta. If I were to take pullings from a plant that is about to enter its succulent stage, would that mean that the shoots from the pullings would need the succulent stage/drier conditions on the same timeframe? I don't want to take any pullings if the regenerated shoots will have to go right into that succulent stage. Any help is greatly appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by Eric; 11-12-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Fairly Obsessed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damp spagh in a clear saucer, put white base of leaf slightly below the spagh, and cover with another clear saucer. Put in high light and wait. If all is good and leaf is healthy, you'll have mini plants in a month or so-
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Damp spagh in a clear saucer, put white base of leaf slightly below the spagh, and cover with another clear saucer. Put in high light and wait. If all is good and leaf is healthy, you'll have mini plants in a month or so-
    I understand HOW to do leaf pullings. My question is if anyone knows more about the when part, and how the succulent stage requirement will affect those regenerated shoots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I've taken pullings from plants in the succulent phase, they generally grew plantlets in the carnivorous phase. I don't think that the phase the plant is in currently affects the phase the plantlets will be in.
    Last edited by w03; 10-17-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter, other than 'winter' leaves are easier to work with.

Fairly Obsessed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was regardless of the leaf "type", if it's healthy, standard protocol will work-
    Good luck
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that "winter only" leaves will work better as well, however, my experience is that my Mexican Pinguiculas have never gone dormant yet, but I have taken at least 10 leaf pullings during their carnivorous mode, and 8 out of 10 times it made a new plant. Take that what you will. Just make sure it's a healthy leaf.
    I. CAN'T. STOP. BUYING. PLANTS.

bannister's grow list

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't cover either type of leaf pulling. Especially the succulent ones. They root fine in ambient humidity of >50%, which I always have in the greenhouse. In fact, I only run into trouble when air movement is stagnant or the soil remains too moist.

Since photoperiod and soil moisture affect what phase the plants are in, your cuttings will initiate a phase that matches those. If the parents are succulent now, the plantlets will behave that way too. I haven't played around enough with them to find out if you can induce the carnivorous leaves by adjusting photoperiod.
    Last edited by theplantman; 10-20-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast