Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on mineral soils

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really doesn't matter what media (in this case half silica sand and half coral sand) I use, it is always wet. That's because I keep my potted Mexican/equitorial Pinguicula in plastic trays, and I keep the water levels in the trays, near the top of the media levels in the pots. I do this year-'round, and also keep the lights on 24/7/365.

Here is a photo of Pinguicula gypsicola, which is in its own rocks glass. The media in the pot is just below the top of the rocks glass. I refresh the water in the glass, daily, to maintain the level just below the media surface.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the thoughts everyone, just getting started with mexican pings myself and this helps a lot. I'm using a mixture of perlite, vermiculite, turface, and sand. my p moctezumae didn't seem to like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses! Is it better to overhead water or tray water with full mineral mixes? With my 7 4ft sunblaster T5's High output the water evaporation will be a little higher. If I decide to do with 100% aquatic plant soil (APS) I was reading that an inch layer of LFS on the bottom is a good thing to help with moisture. Out of the other mineral mixes, can someone give me what ratio they used on some of the full mineral mixes out there? I am just trying to get it right the first time. There is a certain website that is selling a quart of full mineral soil for mexican butterworts (APS, Sand, iron oxide, orchid fertilizer). Its the same as Joseph is using right down to the fertilizer. Its not the $6.00 charge, its the $21.00 shipping for the 1 quart that won't make sense since I have to report a ton of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tks Joseph.

Darkshroud :

I'm using 1/3 APS, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 vermiculite + 1 spoon of worm casting / pot.
    4 inches plastic pots.
    Even with no LFS on the bottom of the pot, the core of the media always remain wet.
    Water tray method, 1 cm of water. I'm thinking of raising the water level and following Joseph comment.
    In winter, RH drop below 30% here so I put a plastic dome over the tray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12