Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinguicula gypsicola

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,
    Did you mention how far from the lights you place these , i probably missed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my early days, I didn't know their nutritional needs. I planted them in pure peatmoss. They barely survived. Things changed as soon as I began feeding. Over the years I've discovered that they can survive, in very minimal environmental conditions. They are very versatile plants.

But, don't forget, when increasing things like nutrition, other environmental factors also need to be adjusted to maintain balance. With increased nutrition, the light, water, and temperature should be adjusted to balance the additional nutrition, otherwise the imbalance could be disastrous, instead of beneficial.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I squeeze six, four foot lamps (three - dual lamp fixtures), over each shelf. I'd fit more, if I could fit them, without creating custom lamp mounts. I did play with overdriving the normal fluorescent lamps, at one time. But that made it more complicated, and I've since stopped rewiring balasts to create this state.

I like to position the lamps as close to the plants leaves, as is practical. Sometimes I lay the lamps across the tops of the plastic shoebox size trays. The trays the potted plants are sitting in.

That puts them a few inches from the plants leaves. I try to raise the lights, when the plants are blooming, so the flowers and flower stalks don't contact the lamps and get damaged.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This plant just got added to my wish list. Love the info. Thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the most incredible gypsicola. It seems you keep your Pinguicula very wet with excellent results! This is very much to contrary of what I had come to understand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12