Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pinguicula emarginata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinguicula emarginata

I'd been growing this species (Pinguicula emarginata) for several years, having a large population of them, all derived from a single original plant.

I enjoy this species, one of the homophyllous growth types, and one that doesn't do well unless kept continuously moist, more like the Pinguicula of the S.E. U.S.A.

The only clone I was currently growing, had all-green leaves, and pale, nearly all-white flowers, with a few bluish/lavender veins. Then I received a plant of the clone illustrated in the pic below -> WOW!

The plant in the pic is planted in all-mineral media, primarily APS/silica sand. It is in a 2" plastic pot.

Is anyone else growing forms of this species that show a variety of color and habit?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plant. Love seeing the flowers. The few times I have had this species it was either mislabeled or died out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    The flower on this clone was overall medium blue color, with darker blue veins. I think I might have a pic of it somewhere. I"m continuing to search through my archives, which are somewhat disorganized. If I can find it, I will add it here. Though there are similar flowers linked at the CP Photo Finder - one is here. Though I think it was even a little darker than that one.

Years ago, I saw a pic from someone (I cannot remember who), the plant had an almost solid dark blue flower, with just a hint of veins. I really would like to have a clone of that, someday.

Despite my propensity for keeping my Mexican/equatorial Pinguicula perpetually wet, I do sometimes let them get somewhat drier than I'd like. I've lost some of this species when I unintentionally let that happen to them.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, this is one of my favorite pinguicula! The colors on your plant are amazing!

I had one a long time ago, but I didn't realize it liked to be kept wet. When it started declining, I kept it drier and unsurprisingly, it died!
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ..... I have to get more Pings in my collection.........