User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's going on with m Pinguicula? thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the leaves lose almost all their chlorophyll, and appear almost white, it is usually a sign of nutrient deficiency. Here is a photo showing some small plantlets, those that are a lighter green, weren't fed, while those next to them, were.

Though the nutrient deficient leaves of the upper plantlets are slightly larger, that's due to their efforts to compensate for a lower density of chlorophyll, and not a sign of better health.

Here are a few pics of Pinguicula esseriana, to illustrate what they can look like in good conditions.

Close-up, transitioning into winter leaf phase:

Group in summer leaf phase:

One plant, side view, almost finished transitioning to winter leaf phase (it isn't a pinecone):

Here is a group of fifteen, two inch pots. They are groups of plantlets, formed by leaf-pullings. They are a few months old, post plantlet formation. Each pot is a different variety.

Pinguicula esseriana in full bloom from winter leaf form:

Here is a link to my growing methods - Cultivating Mexican Pinguicula. It's the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pot of Pinguicula esseriana, grown in much lower light levels than I prefer, as a test. It continued to grow and flower, but had the much larger and all green leaves. Personally I enjoy them best when growing in high light conditions. But they are very adaptable plants, as you are already discovering.

These larger leaves have developed what is called etiolation - it is a plants desperate attempt to reach more light, or to assimilate additional available light to meet its needs. If suitable nutrition is available they will often be as green as possible (maximize chlorophyll content) to make the most use of the available light.

Here is a link to my growing methods - Cultivating Mexican Pinguicula. It's the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-23-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here are pics of two different Pinguicula laueana clones, both in summer leaf form, and nearly identical growing conditions:

The second image shows a plant nearly finished transitioning to winter leaf form.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-23-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's for the information Joseph! So that must be why my P.emarginata is so pale! I already improved it's condition by following your advice of keeping it wet (I top water atleast once a day now instead of every 3 or 4) and it started growing alot better. Now to feed it! It's only a cm or so wide. I have some blood worms but it seems like it might be difficult to feed those to such a tiny bugger. I have a solution of 1/8th strength better-gro urea free with 1/8th strength Jobes organic kelp ferilizer with probiotics that my neps seem to like, should I just spray some of that on it? Should I dilute it further? Thanks-Noah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I learned from your posts is I can manipulate the growing conditions to alter the aesthetics of the Pings. One of the sign to look for is chlorophyll. I actually like the paler look though now I know it's a sign of nutrient deficiency. Another is etiolation when plants are desperate for more lights in low light levels.

Thanks for all helping me understand my pings ALOT MORE. I can't believe how different they can look. It's exciting!!

Also, how old are the esseriana in photos number 2 and 3? It' kinda crazy mine is so small..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is astonishing how quickly they can go from tiny plantlets to two inches across and one inch high. With the proper conditions it can happen in a few weeks or months, or never happen at all in lesser conditions. When I was first getting a feel for these plants I had Pinguicula rotundiflora that were nearly white and after many months, were still no larger than 1 cm in diameter. It was a miracle I was still able to propagate them from leaf-pullings. If they hadn't persisted, despite my poor care, i might never have learned to give them what they really needed. Plenty of light, water, and nutrients.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-23-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just wondering what your general growing conditions are for these Mexican Pings, if I understand correctly you keep them whet year round and under 24 hr light? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sflynn,

All the details are here --

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast