User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can someone tell me what's going on with m Pinguicula? thanks!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the Mexican butterworts will produce winter leaves. some do not, like P. agnata. From a few years ago, this is P. gypsicola, at various stages:

[IMG][/IMG]

[img][/img]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it time to stop watering my pings?

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps3isawesome,

It depends on your plans. If you plan to grow, dry. You'll need to find directions from someone who regularly uses that method. I've only, ever, let any of my Pinguicula, even Mexican/equatorial, go dry, when I was unexpectedly preoccupied with family and personal health issues. In the eight years prior to this first period of neglect, I'd grown all of them, nearly floating in trays of water, sort of semi-aquatic. I never let them go dry, not even for a short time. They regularly transitioned between winter and summer leaf forms (if they were heterophyllous growth types), and bloomed when they felt like it. I eventually had so many flowers, of many different varieties, that I learned that many of them had unique scents, which were more noticeable, when there were dozens of the same plants flowers, at the same time, and close to each other. My growing methods are described in the sticky post at the top of the Butterwort (Pinguicula) sub-forum.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing Joseph. Although I'm just a bit overwhelmed with mixed information from forum members, vendor, and you. Honestly at first I was shocked that they could go 2-3 months without water. They are def surviving and producing non-carnivorou leafs under the bone dry condition. I mean I don't really know....... I really want to water them so they can start growing again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When learning to grow them, in your own way, and in your own local conditions. Be cautious, make changes slowly. After any period of being dry, I've always had some difficulty when starting the plants back on water. For whatever reason, some fail to successfully adjust to having water, again. It can be very frustrating.

Many plants, including these, can be quite adaptable. Or they can fail, suddenly, and unexpectedly. Like many things, especially caring for living creatures, there are many different environments in which they can survive or even prosper. Of course, we caretakers need to decide for ourselves, what that constitutes for us and our plants. If they survive, and continue, for some, that is enough. With others, they tweak and tweak again, until the plants seem to reach a peak of health and vigor, they may not even be capable of in their native habitats.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

In my opinion, all your pings are growing well.
    The only thing I prefere say to you, concerne the ping on the first picture. It seems that some water is up the ping's leaf.
    Be carefull, It could make some problems if the sun is shinning a lot, because it could make the leaf "burn" ...
    and you give more chance to this plant to be destroy by botrytis or something else..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

for most of my Mexican ping , I made them undergo dormancy period (corresponding to the dry periods of Mexico) from mid October to mid May with a slightly moist substrate to avoid desiccation, for the filiforme completely dry ,except for the moctezumae that they behave rather like the temperate kind longifolia.

but in this genus you have also ,subtropical US, temperate , caraibe , andin it is not the same growing condition.

jeff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123