What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. planifolia and seed germination(help please)

I was recently reading posts on some other forums about a guy named brian submerging his planifolia seeds in water and growing the babies immersed with good germination rates and apparently makes it easier to grow the plants into adulthood? I guess this is what happens in nature, the planifolia flowers after flooding
12444634685_f150b8d293_h.jpg
then drops the seeds in the water where they saturate (atleast thats what I got from it)
the posts didnt explain too well, it talked more about overwintering them than it did about how to germinate the seeds. but it did sound like this could be the reason so many have problems growing planifolia from seed. does anyone know more about this?

http://icps.proboards.com/thread/841/submerging-planifolia-cultivation-pics?page=1
http://www.insektenfang.com/ipforum/topic/2528-one-for-brian/

I use this method in spring for the adult plant : primuliflora-planifolia-ionantha with a good success

for the seed germination more difficult for me

jeff

I just germinated my planifolia in regular peat/sand mix that was very wet. It gave me great results. The only weird thing that I found when I germinated them was that temperature seemed to play a role. I split my seedpods 50/50 when they were dry and put them into two separate but identical pots. One in my "lowland" terrarium inside, and one in my "highland" greenhouse outside. All the care I gave them was identical but the lowland pot only gave me a couple seedlings while the highland pot exploded with seedlings. Granted I have never tried growing planifolia from seed again so I can't say for certain that this will always work. But, if you have some to spare it couldn't hurt in the name of knock off science :p Good luck!

Last edited:
Bonjour

between lowland and highland what are your 2 growing conditions?

for the seedling I use fresh seeds in peat/sand substrate 30/70 always wet but no immersed

jeff

Back