User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are things Pinguicula ready for leaf pullings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I've had nearly 100% success propagating Mexican/equatorial Pinguicula, from leaf-pullings. It never really mattered as to what leaf form the plants were in, at the time I took the pullings. I've propagated many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of plantlets from both summer and winter leaf forms. The most important factor, is to control the moisture/humidity in the immediate vicinity of the severed leaves. Too damp and they will quickly rot, before forming plantlets, too dry and they will dry up, before forming plantlets. Besides, many of these are homophyllous, and only ever have "summer" leaves.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay well, WISH ME LUCK GUYS!!! Hopefully I don't injure the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not Sure, but you can also try to reduce the light's time....
    i dont think water change something,..... because mine going dormant themself, and that only when i see they are going dormant , that i beginn to reduce water ....
    it is logik after all....how plants should know it is winter time ? easy... day and daylight are more small, and temperatures going down too... (in my opinion 12H light is too much for winter time )
    but dont worry..it's not a big problem..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck... i'm sure you doing well...and have some new plantelets in one month maximum...
    take the leaf slowly, and take if its possible the entire leaf with the with part...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    white part*....sorry lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh. very cool looking P. laueana. it has a purplish color to it ive never seen before on that species. maybe my screen color is off. but the leaf shape and the veins look spot on to P. laueana. could it be a hybrid?
    anyways as far as getting it to go dormant I wouldnt worry too much. some species simply refuse to be forced into dormancy and will do it on their own time, ive had a yucca 1717 do this to me many times.. like others said though reducing light along with water is your best chance, they can handle low water during carnivorous stage so only lowering water may or may not be enough to put plant into dormancy, but lowering the water and light usually does the trick.I assume because at that time of year in nature the light will ALWAYS reduce because of the distance from the sun or whatever, but rainfall can vary and you could have a very dry growing season some years, so in order to not mistake that false alarm as a reason to go dormant they sometimes need more than one signal to go dormant..least thats what I get from it. And as far as I can tell temperatures dont seem to have any effect on their dormancy considering mine will grow or go dormant in just about any livable temperature.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-24-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Nomenclature - scientific plant names are binomial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly Ras, i completly agree with your opinion...
    my pings decided themselfs when they want to go dormant... and the only who changes alone without i'm doing nothing, is the number of sunny hours in a day...
    so i think this is THE factor who makes pings going dormant...
    and this P. laueana is also violet on my screen... and this is the first time i could see this color for a p. laueana
    Good luck Ps3isawesome with your leaf's pulling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I moved this ping onto my windowsill. Which gets less hours of daylight than under my artificial grow light. Hopefully this will do.

I'm not sure if this is a hybrid..... totally newbie to pings.

Thanks guys for all the reply.

One thing, do you guys just pull the leafs out with your finger? or with a pair of tiny tweezers?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast