User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are things Pinguicula ready for leaf pullings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to do my leaf-pullings in conjunction with repotting. I like to take most of the outer, older leaves, leaving only a central core of the newer leaves. When I received my first plants of Pinguicula gigantea, though they were small plants, I removed all but the central four or five leaves, using all the older leaves for propagation. This set the "parent" plants, back, a little. The leaf-pullings developed well, and by the time the parent plants had recovered, they and the propagules were nearly the same size.

This is a photo of the three original plants of Pinguicula gigantea, I first received. By the time of this photo, there were about a half dozen propagules (of each), created via leaf-pullings of these three original clones - they were nearly the same size as these parent plants. Time lapsed, about two months.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-28-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joseph, would you recommend just pulling them off with your finger? or a pair of small tweezers?

I'm scared of literally yanking the plant out from its soil......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually try with my fingers first. Go easy at first and see if you can see where the leaf is giving from. Usually with small or tougher leaves I will use tweezers so I can grab closer to the base, but be gentle with your grip on the leaf. I don't have the best hands for this kind of stuff so when the pings are in winter leaf form I almost always use tweezers, just can't grab anything otherwise.

I take pullings any time of year though, leaf form doesn't make a difference to me. Carnivorous leaves seem a bit easier to deal with and handle. But on the other side a lot of species seem to have more leaves available in their winter forms, if they have one.

As far as the laueana going into winter form I would just shorten the photoperiod on the lights and let the plant do its thing, water it until it changes forms. Some plants seem more reluctant to switch over than others, I've always been told to just sort of leave them be though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ps3isawesome, in my advice, it is better to take your finger, or you will probably hurt the leaf...
    make it slowly, take the leaf between your fingers, and take the leaf slowly to the right....not to much...and then come back...and go to the left....and so on...
    sometimes up and down...and normally the leaf comes in one piece...
    just make slowly...and with your other hand, make the plant stay on his place...
    good luck... never to much hard, and it will be ok... .....it is very easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, I exactly do the same method as Joseph do...
    I take the older leaf when i put my pings in a new pot with new perlite.... it is really the most easy way to do, because the plant is on your hand, and you can reverse her...
    i prefer the carnivorous leaf because they are more big than the winter leaf....and i found that winter leaf are more breakable...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really prefer to unpot them first, but I suppose it could be done without unpotting them. Just, like ignis said, gently (with fingers), pull the leaf left of crown, right of crown, then down (if possible). I'm afraid that using any metal tools would cause injury to the leaves where the metal put pressure on them. Just don't put too much pressure on the leaves with your fingers, either. Your objective is to have the leaf cleanly detach itself from the plant's stem, or as near to the stem as possible.

The leaves are pretty durable, but still fragile and easily damaged. Any damage can affect the leaves ability to successfully produce viable plantlets.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-28-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This p. laueana is always with summer leaves....so the chance is that the leaves are big enough to make it easy...
    It sure that metal tools cause injury, and the leaf will be probably destroy by botrytis or something like that, before having any plantlets...
    in most of cases, when you unpot a pinguicula, leaf are often auto-separate for the rest of plant, because ping must be manipulated so much carefully, that leaf pulling was making itself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

for me it is more easier to make leaves cutting with dormance leaves .

more easier to detach the leaves of the rosette , sometimes without problem.

more easier to have rejection with a succulent leaves .

jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast