Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing Pings indoor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone also recommend a nice combination of soil for these plants to grow in a terrarium? I basically have them in spanghum, sand, and perlite or pumice equal ratio. I saw some pictures and some grow with what looks like a wet spanghum surface and others have a dry rocky surface. Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones with a "rocky" surface are probably just grown in inorganic media - most likely APS based.

On that note, APS and mixes based on it do make for rather good soil. It controls moisture level well, offers lots of aeration and doesn't ever break down.
    Last edited by w03; 05-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is APS? all purpose soil?

Should i substitute lava rocks for sphagnum? I have also seen turface and wonder about it. Most of my pings look incredible in my soil mixture but I do have a few that don't seem to do as well. I cannot tell if they like the soil drier or it just needs different light.

For a terrarium, is my mixture of 1:1:1 of sphagnum, sand, and pumice good? Is there a better mixture? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by telamont; 05-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All mine are grown in 100% Turface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I think I might try it then. I hope the pings I have now will like the change. I do not see how they wouldn't as there roots do not go too deep and I will just transfer them with the little bit of soil they are attached to now. Where can I get turface? Home depot or Osh? Can I grow ground cover in the terrarium in turface too? Also, how close or far away should my T5's be from the plants?
    Last edited by telamont; 05-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APS I believe stands for something like Aquatic Plant Media. Its made for ponds typically. Its actually often either just turface or a blend of turface and other minerals.

I use 100% turface as well, per Cthulhu's advice when I started growing pings a bit more seriously. It has worked out well so far.

My lights are about 12 inches from the plants. Ideally I would raise them a bit just because my shelves get hot with them that close, the pings don't mind one bit though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot find turface and am wondering if my soil mixture will work in a terrarium? At my disposal I have tons of peat spanghum, sand, and pumice. I feel like pumice is very similar to turface. Can i just use a large amount of pumice with a ratio of maybe 3:1:1 of pumice, sand, peat?

I called a local carnivores store and they suggested equal ratio of sand, pumice, perlite, and spanghum. Ill do this for now and order turface for the later upgrade. Thank you for the speedy replies everyone. I am so excited to set this up I will share pictures and hopefully you can all help me ID my pings.
    Last edited by telamont; 05-28-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People use a variety of different mixes for their media. Some are all mineral based, some not. I started off with a peat, sand, perlite mix, they still grew.

Turface can be tricky to find sometimes, look for it as an aquatic plant media at aquarium stores or landscape supply stores as something they put down in baseball fields, I believe. John Deere retailers carry it sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast