Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growing Pings indoor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I grow mine in my standard Sarracenia 50/50 Sphagnum peat and coarse silica sand, heavily amended with perlite to taste (no specific recipe). Most of the year mine grow in the basement under two 24" reflector shop lights (sometimes with white tubes, sometimes with full-spectrum. I'm experimenting with keeping them under a bench in my greenhouse during the warm season here (USDA Zone 7A). Just moved them out yesterday with my lone Nepenthes.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What can be causing the leaves to curl upward?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telamont View Post
    Food normally causes the leaves to do so. The mechanism isn't fully understood but it's thought to occur in order to ensure that fewer nutrients are lost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telamont View Post
    Many species and hybrids have leaves where the edges have a natural upward curve.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of my pings at screened in window sills. The rest are on a grow rack, with built in Grolite bulbs. I've used a variety of soil mixes, mostly inorganic. I wasn't impressed with APS. Sand, perlite, egg shells is mostly what I have. Crushed coral can also be used in the mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up making a substrate from my previous mixture of peat, sand, and pumice and layered the whole top of it with at least a 1/4" of just pumice. The pings are doing phenomenally and I can even see babies growing from a few pedals I set aside the mothers. The soil has stayed wet for about half a week now without needing water. This is a huge upgrade. I was worried though the lights were too much as I saw some of my largest and favorite pings leaves curling upward. The white bulbs went out for a few days and they seemed to be doing great with just the blue hitting them. It is a 4 bulb fixture coralife I used to use for fish tanks. Today I fixed the white and am hoping they have adjusted and will end up growing better from the added light.

I wish I could post pictures anyone know why I can't? Do I need more posts on the forums?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123