What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Pings indoor

Can anyone suggest a good light for growing pings indoors? I want to set up a terrarium in a 10 gallon tank. Thanks!

They don't need fancy lighting to thrive. Mine are under T8's that haven't been changed in about 8 years and they do pretty well.

P.moranensis var. alba

P.agnata 'True Blue'

P.sp. Tehuacan

P.laueana

P.moranensis

P.sp. Tonala 'ANPA-C'

P.sp. Tonala 'ANPA-A'

P.sp. Sumidero II

P.sp. Pachuca

P.rotundiflora

P.moctezumae

P.macrophylla

P.jaumavensis

P.hemiepiphytica - Site 2 #6

P.emarginata

Last edited:
I grow mine under 4 t5ho tubes. I had them under 2 tubes for a bit, it definitely wasn't enough they grew alright but there is a huge difference now. If you want something specific to fit the tank I'm sure there are some aquarium fixtures available. Otherwise any 2ft fixture should work. I still have some from HTG in use on one shelf of my grow rack.

EDIT: I don't have a bunch of flowers to show but the plants themselves looked better after the light upgrade. They colored up much better and growth got a lot more compact on some species. But like I said they grew alright still.

Last edited:
I have a P. 'Gina' and a P. 'Aphrodite' close under T5's next to my sundews and they seem to do alright. They both color up decently and have plenty of dew though the Aphrodite is reaching up a lot which seems to indicate that it would like even more light. It's still growing fast though.

awesome thank you guys . my friend has a spare 4 build coralife he isn't using it is a t5 fixture i will use. do you all run white bulbs in those or what? can i buy them from home depot or osh? I have to send you pictures of my pings :)
They thrive and are just under my windowsill but i built a new shelf and they don't get as good of light so i want to supplement with a fixture. Thanks again.

Very well grown plants Cthulu. Im on my 1st ever pings &, to my surprise, they are extremely fast growers. I can't wait to see some flowers after viewing your pics. Which types of pings do you have telamont?

Last edited:
How far away should i have the T5's from the plants?

Can anyone also recommend a nice combination of soil for these plants to grow in a terrarium? I basically have them in spanghum, sand, and perlite or pumice equal ratio. I saw some pictures and some grow with what looks like a wet spanghum surface and others have a dry rocky surface. Thanks for the help!

The ones with a "rocky" surface are probably just grown in inorganic media - most likely APS based.

On that note, APS and mixes based on it do make for rather good soil. It controls moisture level well, offers lots of aeration and doesn't ever break down.

Last edited:
what is APS? all purpose soil?

Should i substitute lava rocks for sphagnum? I have also seen turface and wonder about it. Most of my pings look incredible in my soil mixture but I do have a few that don't seem to do as well. I cannot tell if they like the soil drier or it just needs different light.

For a terrarium, is my mixture of 1:1:1 of sphagnum, sand, and pumice good? Is there a better mixture? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
All mine are grown in 100% Turface.

Thanks! I think I might try it then. I hope the pings I have now will like the change. I do not see how they wouldn't as there roots do not go too deep and I will just transfer them with the little bit of soil they are attached to now. Where can I get turface? Home depot or Osh? Can I grow ground cover in the terrarium in turface too? Also, how close or far away should my T5's be from the plants?

Last edited:
APS I believe stands for something like Aquatic Plant Media. Its made for ponds typically. Its actually often either just turface or a blend of turface and other minerals.

I use 100% turface as well, per Cthulhu's advice when I started growing pings a bit more seriously. It has worked out well so far.

My lights are about 12 inches from the plants. Ideally I would raise them a bit just because my shelves get hot with them that close, the pings don't mind one bit though.

I cannot find turface and am wondering if my soil mixture will work in a terrarium? At my disposal I have tons of peat spanghum, sand, and pumice. I feel like pumice is very similar to turface. Can i just use a large amount of pumice with a ratio of maybe 3:1:1 of pumice, sand, peat?

I called a local carnivores store and they suggested equal ratio of sand, pumice, perlite, and spanghum. Ill do this for now and order turface for the later upgrade. Thank you for the speedy replies everyone. I am so excited to set this up I will share pictures and hopefully you can all help me ID my pings.

Last edited:
People use a variety of different mixes for their media. Some are all mineral based, some not. I started off with a peat, sand, perlite mix, they still grew.

Turface can be tricky to find sometimes, look for it as an aquatic plant media at aquarium stores or landscape supply stores as something they put down in baseball fields, I believe. John Deere retailers carry it sometimes.

FWIW, I grow mine in my standard Sarracenia 50/50 Sphagnum peat and coarse silica sand, heavily amended with perlite to taste (no specific recipe). Most of the year mine grow in the basement under two 24" reflector shop lights (sometimes with white tubes, sometimes with full-spectrum. I'm experimenting with keeping them under a bench in my greenhouse during the warm season here (USDA Zone 7A). Just moved them out yesterday with my lone Nepenthes.

What can be causing the leaves to curl upward?

What can be causing the leaves to curl upward?
Food normally causes the leaves to do so. The mechanism isn't fully understood but it's thought to occur in order to ensure that fewer nutrients are lost.

Back